Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who Is Calling You?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

I found a very useful website last night. I've been getting calls from a certain number and since I don't recognize the number and there is no name or place attached to it I don't answer. They always call my cell phone, never the home phone. I ignore them. Last night I did a search for the number and it lead me to this site. Enter a phone number and if someone else has already posted about it, you should be able to find out WHO it's from. I looked up the area code 208 and it is for Boise, Idaho. From the site I found out it's a political survey.

http://800notes.com/

Find out who is calling and why: Debt collectors, telemarketers, charities, and survey companies often call without leaving a message. Lookup the number to read the reports of other users.

Report telemarketing calls: Make the Do Not Call list offenders notice the problem by reporting their practices. No business wants bad publicity.

Report phone fraud: Did someone try to scam you? Reporting the number is the fastest way to make public aware, and prevent others from falling victim to the scam.

Check out a business: Read other users' feedback about the phone number owner.

You can also report calls you have received if the number is not listed on the site if a look-up of the number yields no results.

Unfortunately, the Do Not Call does not apply in my case. The do not call list excludes calls which are not commercial or do not include unsolicited advertisements.

Political surveys are not commercial in nature and do not include unsolicited ad's. Can you say LOOPHOLE?

Time to head to Verizon Spam Control to block the number.

If you use a different cell phone company, check to see if you can block numbers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

Using an unlisted or restricted number also works wonders, it just wreaks havoc on some people who have a different carrier. Both me and my Boss have unlisted / restricted Cell Phone numbers and are on different carriers so even though we have each others numbers in our Contacts it come up as "Restricted Number" and at 2 AM and you don't think can make the first 30 seconds of the call rather interesting.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users