Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No minidump or event log after BSOD.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bomblast

bomblast

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:11 AM

My pc has been giving BSOD STOP error messages continuously. However I do not find any minidump files in Windows/Minidump. I have set system to create a minidump and write a event log but there no effect. The event viewer does not show any errors or warnings after BSOD or crash, neither there is a dump file. I used BlueScreenView but even it does not show anything. I confused that without any minidump file how should I figure out the problem. Also after BSOD and pc restart chkdsk starts scanning. I searched my computer for files *.dmp but there was nothing related system crash. I need help with this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:46 AM

Check the event log for any error messages pertaining to System and Applications.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:59 AM

I would suggest that you have a hard drive with problem or a file system with problems.

After XP boots...Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter.

Reboot the system, the command will run...system boots into XP upon command completion.

If you receive any error messages explaining that chkdsk /r cannot complete or that the file system has problems...write such down and post.

Louis

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

It's possible that memory dumps are turned off...

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
3. On the Advanced tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
4. In the Write debugging information list, click Kernel memory dump, and then click OK.
5. Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.
6. In the System Settings Change dialog box, click Yes if you want to restart your computer now. Click No if you want to restart your computer later.

Your settings should look like this (with XP instead of Windows 7, obviously):
Posted Image
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:13 AM

I would suggest that you have a hard drive with problem or a file system with problems.

After XP boots...Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter.

Reboot the system, the command will run...system boots into XP upon command completion.

If you receive any error messages explaining that chkdsk /r cannot complete or that the file system has problems...write such down and post.

Louis

Chkdsk runs on its own after my pc gets a BSOD. It shows some error but also tell that it has recovered them. I think this chkdsk utility runs because one of my drives is FAT32. But everything seems to be okay with chkdsk.

#6 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:19 AM

It's possible that memory dumps are turned off...

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
3. On the Advanced tab, in the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings.
4. In the Write debugging information list, click Kernel memory dump, and then click OK.
5. Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.
6. In the System Settings Change dialog box, click Yes if you want to restart your computer now. Click No if you want to restart your computer later.

Your settings should look like this (with XP instead of Windows 7, obviously):
Posted Image

Actually in the Write debugging information list, Small minidumps(64k) is selected, which is directed to %Systemroot%/Minidumps. But there is nothing in that folder. I don't understand what is the difference between Small minidumps and Kernel memory dump options. Will changing it to kernel memory dumps create dumps? If so where will I find them?

#7 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:22 AM

Check the event log for any error messages pertaining to System and Applications.

The event logs don't show any errors or warnings during the time when BSOD was generated. If I find the minidump by some way I can send it to bleeping computer to solve the problem with my pc.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

Will changing it to kernel memory dumps create dumps?

Well, it should create dumps either way, but try it and see (change to kernel, reboot, and wait for a BSOD).

Then check BlueScreenView again.

#9 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:32 AM

Well, it should create dumps either way, but try it and see (change to kernel, reboot, and wait for a BSOD).

Then check BlueScreenView again.

Well, I will try and hope that it solves the problem.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

Also, make sure BlueScreenView is looking in the right place. You might have to direct it to the folder where the dumps should be contained.

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

bombblast, are these topics for the same computer?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313711/no-minidump-or-event-log-after-bsod/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/312960/solve-pc-crash-problem/

Double-posts about the same problem are not allowed.

#12 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:54 AM

Also, make sure BlueScreenView is looking in the right place. You might have to direct it to the folder where the dumps should be contained.

When I changed the 'Write debugging information' to Kernel memory dump, its dump file location is shown to %Systemroot%/MEMORY.DMP. However there is no folder named "MEMORY" in Windows directory. So where would the dump files go? Should I change dump files location to some other folder like %Systemroot%/Minidump.dmp for kernel debugging option? If not then how would I be able to access the log files?

#13 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:01 AM

bombblast, are these topics for the same computer?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313711/no-minidump-or-event-log-after-bsod/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/312960/solve-pc-crash-problem/

Double-posts about the same problem are not allowed.

Actually both topics are for same computer, but while solving one I emerged with another problem. I did not know that these topics would be considered for same problem. So I had started a new topic. Without one being solved it was difficult for the other one to be solved. If necessary topic312960 can be deleted. I will continue that topic's problem in this topic once this this original problem of 'dump file location' is solved.

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

The reason I pointed out the duplicate topics is this: conflicting advice can be given in both topics. If helper A in the other topic says to do "this", and I say to do "that"....everybody is confused when said advice doesn't work. Nobody has a clue what the other is trying to do, and we get nowhere. And we certainly can't coordinate advice between two topics and multiple helpers. That's why double-posting about the same computer/problem is a bad idea.

Okay, to find your dumps...I don't know why it is set the way it is (%Systemroot%/MEMORY.DMP). That is not the actual location. %Systemroot% is just your Windows directory. MEMORY.DMP is a file (with a .dmp extension). However, you will not find a .dmp file in your Windows directory. Don't ask me why...

In BlueScreenView > Options > Advanced Options >

Posted Image

Set it to what I have and see what comes up...

#15 bomblast

bomblast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:19 AM

The reason I pointed out the duplicate topics is this: conflicting advice can be given in both topics. If helper A in the other topic says to do "this", and I say to do "that"....everybody is confused when said advice doesn't work. Nobody has a clue what the other is trying to do, and we get nowhere. And we certainly can't coordinate advice between two topics and multiple helpers. That's why double-posting about the same computer/problem is a bad idea.

Okay, to find your dumps...I don't know why it is set the way it is (%Systemroot%/MEMORY.DMP). That is not the actual location. %Systemroot% is just your Windows directory. MEMORY.DMP is a file (with a .dmp extension). However, you will not find a .dmp file in your Windows directory. Don't ask me why...

In BlueScreenView > Options > Advanced Options >

Posted Image

Set it to what I have and see what comes up...

The BlueScreenView does not show anything even in the minidump folder that you told. It is always empty. The BlueScreenView always shows 0 crashes. After I set the debugging mode to kernel mode I saw a file in windows directory named "MEMORY" (MEMORY.DMP). But it does not open. It neither opens with BlueScreenView nor with notepad. It has a file size of 82 MB. Now I have once again changed Write Debugging information to Small minidumps(64k) to see whether my system creates dump files now or not. If I get a small minidump file I will upload it. If you have any idea to open the MEMORY.DMP, then I will surely welcome the suggestion.

This time when I got BSOD I saw these significant things:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF5247C46, 0x00000001, 0x8057FB84, 0x00000000)

Also after BSOD restart my pc audio went off. The Soundmax control panel also appears half in size. The device manager also shows problem with 'Plug And Play Software Device Enumerator'. In the Device status of properties of this enumerator it is written that:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users