Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:00 AM

Hey! I have two hard drives. I want to copy info from #1 to #2. Then reformat, and add new OS to #1. And finally copy info from #2 back to #1.

Any ideas about the fastest/safest way to accomplish this procedure?
I don't have Ghost.

Thanks,
dpb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaptain

Kaptain

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:12 AM

What keeps you from simply making a backup by burning those files on a cd and then restoring them on a new OS? >> *Simplest way*

Or

You can install new OS on existing old harddrive, and keep old OS. I think you should be able to access files that were on old hd with a new OS.

Or

Install new OS on a new hd and leave old hd as a secondary (slave). I think you'll be able to access your old files as well, unless there will be OS conflict.

I'd just make my life easier by making a regular backup on CD's, but it's just me ;).

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:18 AM

Hey!  I have two hard drives. I want to copy info from #1 to #2. Then reformat, and add new OS to #1. And finally copy info from #2 back to #1.

Any ideas about the fastest/safest way to accomplish this procedure?
I don't have Ghost.

Thanks,
dpb

Digital Dolly has a drive copy feature and it's free.
The Kaptain is right. You would be well served to keep your files on a second drive just for instances like this.

EDIT: Partition and format your 2nd drive, then setup 2 explor windows and drag and drop complete folders from the first drive to the sencod drive. You didn't want your OS did you? Then went you fresh install the OS you are setup for a 2 drive system.

Edited by acklan, 27 September 2005 - 12:53 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:17 AM

Well usually, hard drive manufacturers make their own programs to copy exisitng harddrives to another. All you need is the manufacturers program for the disk your copying info from

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:56 AM

Lexun Backup

There's also this that is free.

Roadkil also has several free tools that will do what you want.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:15 AM

What make of hard drive are these? We have a resource that links to many hard drive manufacturers utilites for copying, formatting and diagnosing hard drive problems called Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools, Links to Manufacturers Utilities.

If anyone reading this knows of a hard drive manufacturer that is not included, and I know there are some, please let me know and I will investigate adding them.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 dpb510

dpb510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:07 PM

Thanks so much for all the great info :thumbsup: I guess now I have to get to work!
.......dpb.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users