Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Problem , no access to disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Emile

Emile

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:55 AM

Hello,
I run Dual boot XP SP3 and Vista SP2 , since yesterday I cannot boot Vista anymore, the HD (an external eSATA 400gb) switch on and off several times and finally the PC tries to reboot. Same when I try to boot in safe mode.

On my XP I "see" that HD in Computer Management, Disk Management see attached screenshot , the G Disk2 .
there are //////////// on this disk I do not remember what it means..... I think this is to say it is Hidden ? to this partition.

I want to run a disk check on this HD . How to gain again access to the disk from my XP?
Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Emile Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Corsair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 560 ti,PCX Nvidia 550 ti,
SSD 120Gb, 2 x 1 Tera SATA6, Dual Boot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:37 AM

All that means is that it is showing you the selected drive. Select another one, and you will see the ////////// move. I just found that out on my own.

#3 Emile

Emile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hello criptodam,

Thanks for the information, you are right!!
Emile Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Corsair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 560 ti,PCX Nvidia 550 ti,

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:14 AM

<>

There are varying methods for running the chkdsk /r command on the drive, if that's what you mean.

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm. The directions for running it from the Graphical Interface (put checks in both options (Scan For and Automatically Fix) are probably the easiest to do from My Computer.

An alternative would be to run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive.

<<...the HD (an external eSATA 400gb) switch on and off several times and finally the PC tries to reboot.>>

I guess that I don't know what you mean.

If you mean that the external drive appears to be malfunctioning...I would first check the connections, then check Event Viewer for any pertinent error messages re the drive in question. If the external drive appears to be causing reboot issues, then we need a bit more to go on to define the possible problem.

I would also suggest that you Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/, if not already done.

Louis

#5 Emile

Emile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

Hello and thanks for your help, SOLVED

I have replaced the HD was out of order

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for providing feedback on your resolution...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users