Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vaio Laptop Function keys aren't working.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaptain

Kaptain

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:23 PM

Hey all, i got one more problem with my Vaio :thumbsup:.

After i reinstalled Windows XP Pro (don't have original sony recovery cd), the function keys stopped working. I mean ones to change brightness of the screen, volume, switch to external monitor. The ones that can be accessed by pressing "Fn"+key. I'm not talking about those dedicated keys that aren't on the keyboard.

I did downloaded ALL drivers that were on sony drivers page, but function keys are still inoperable. I looked in BIOS and there was option to switch between 3 different modes of Fn. It said that if Function keys aren't working, i might want to switch between those 3 and see whichever will work. I tried switching, restarted pc every time, but Fn keys still aren't working.

It's Sony Vaio VGN-FS640 (1.6 Pentium M Centrino, 512mb ram...)
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?...teType=Original

I"m thinking about getting Sony Recover CD and reinstalling windows, perhaps it has some hidden drivers for "Fn". Any other ideas?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Edited by Kaptain, 26 September 2005 - 11:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kalyankg

kalyankg

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:04 AM

Hi,
Go to BIOS and check with factory defaults. and reboot the laptop
then check with the function keys, and check wiht F8 key also, if it works then problem lies with the OS

#3 Kaptain

Kaptain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:07 AM

Will try that, friend has laptop now. :thumbsup:

Thanks

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:19 AM

Now that you have the computer up - go to Sony Support for help with the special function keys and anything else that is not functional at this time.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 September 2005 - 12:20 AM.

#5 Kaptain

Kaptain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:22 PM

:thumbsup: For some reason you guys might guess of, i can't contact Sony support regarding this laptop. :flowers:

Any other ideas suggestions? please

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users