Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC infected w/ fake antivirus program

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Robert P

Robert P

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

I have a PC that a friend of mine has asked me to clean for him. I have gotten in a little deeper than my knowledge base, so I am looking for some help. The infection is a fake anti virus program "AKM Antivirus 2010" and others I think. I am unable to access the internet, run taskman, run antivirus program, acces the control panel, etc. So I inserted my OTLPE.iso and ran the OTL scan. I will post the scan as soon as requested. My review of the scan did not look good, but what do I know, I am at best a novice.

Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

Edited by Pandy, 30 April 2010 - 09:22 AM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs as no logs are included ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

Hello,
Always (always) state the Windows version/edition !!!!

I can make 1 or 2 basic suggestions, and then you will have to do some required reports and make a new post in the Malware Removal sub-forum.

If needed, you must use a clean pc to do downloads of tools and then burn to DVD/CD or copy to unused-new flash USB drives. Then transfer and Copy onto Desktop of problem pc.

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.
  • Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
  • If your antivirus program gives a prompt message, respond positive to allow RKILL to run.
  • If a malware-rogue gives a message regarding RKILL, proceed forward to running RKILL
Download to your Desktop FixPolicies.exe, by Bill Castner, MS-MVP, a self-extracting ZIP archive from
>>> here <<<
  • Double-click FixPolicies.exe.
  • Click the "Install" button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
  • The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies.
  • Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file within: Fix_Policies.cmd.
  • A black box will briefly appear and then close.
  • This fix may prove temporary. Active malware may revert these changes at your next startup. You can safely run the utility again.
Follow the required steps for getting guided help as listed here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (Oct 2002 - Sept 2010)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users