Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with BSOD consistently every 6.5 hours (0x8E)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 g915

g915

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

I've reached the limit of my ability to diagnose this one. Any help would be appreciated. For the past couple weeks I've been getting a BSOD consistently after 6.5 hours of uptime. Shortly before the total crash, text will disappear from all apps (Firefox, OpenOffice, etc.) and I can no longer get into msconfig or services.msc (sometimes even ctrl-alt-del won't bring up task manager). If I reboot at some point, the "counter" seems to reset. It always happens between 6:10 and 6:40 after the last boot.

The system:
HP dv9000 laptop, WinXP MCE SP3, Intel Core2Duo, NVidia GeForce Go 7600

Other things I noticed in the events log:
On every boot, the following drivers fail to load: AliIde, IntelIde, Pcmcia, ViaIde. However, that issue predates the crashes. I don't know when this started. It goes as far back as the event log, and is there for every regular boot.

Using nirsoft's BlueScreenView, I found that the driver that causes the BSOD is usually ntkrnlpa.exe+96666, but has also been hal.dll+2d43 and tcpip.sys+9f8f once each. The "bug check code" is always 0x1000008e. Parameter1 is always 0xc0000017. Parameter2 is always 0x8056d666. Parameter4 is always 0x0. Parameter3 varies each time.

What I've done:
Virus scans with Avira AntiVir and Kaspersky - nothing found.
Malware scans with MBAM, Super, and Spybot - nothing found.
checkdisk and memtest
SpeedFan gives temps in the range of 30-35 for CPU, 60-62 for GPU, and 48-49 for the primary HD
I've made sure the BIOS, drivers, and windows are up to date as well as I'm able.
I've tried reinstalling SP3
I've even cracked the laptop open to get rid of dust.
Tried, but failed: Recovery console (isn't finding my hard drives, and I don't have a floppy drive) & FixItCenter (won't install)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. At this point, I have no clue even about whether it's hardware or software.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

Have a read of this STOP 0x1000008E

#3 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:02 PM

I'm wondering if your laptop gets warm enough after 6 1/2 hours to cause enough expansion from the heat so that the sinks around the chipset no longer make proper contact. The dv9000 series is one of those that had models with issues with the nvidia chipset overheating and causing the system to die. Check out this page to see if yours is one of the affected ones.

#4 g915

g915
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:07 AM

cryptodan,

I have already reinstalled SP3. But I checked the imapi.sys file, and it's fine.

KoB,

Overheating is one of the things I've been considering. But at this point it doesn't make any logical sense to me. According to SpeedFan, my GPU hits 61 degrees within an hour of booting up and never goes above 63 after that. My CPU is never even rising above 35. And the HD never goes above 49.

Also, If I reboot at the first sign that a crash is coming, the machine is fine for 6.5 hours again. If it were a problem of overheating, I would think that the time would be less after the reboot since the machine is already "preheated" quite a bit.

Of course, I'm no hardware expert. But it also seems unlikely that the HP overheating problem would suddenly appear after a couple years.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

I also forgot to mention in my first post that I ran a couple rootkit scanners that found nothing.

#5 g915

g915
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:37 AM

By the way, I did check my particular laptop's model & product # with HP's list of effected machines. Mine is not one of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users