Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD size arrors, bad file size being reported

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

After doing a lot of file management (backups, deletion of unnecessary files, defrag, etc) I was able to recover a substantial amount of space. When opening up Computer, I noticed that the size was only registering about 70GB free (out of 500). Knowing this couldn't be the case (I had found the directory my screen recorder saves to, apparently it records lossless avi at 1gb/minute) I did the usual right click on all the folders in root:\ and the size count was only 162GB, with hidden and system folders viewable. I found TweakNow PowerPack 10, which I had used for its Disk Usage Analyzer. That came up with only 94GB used.

After those installs, the disk size jumped to 94GB free.

Attached is the Systweak file structure (only root:\*, so nothing personally identifiable), the Active@ Hard Disk diagnostic (can't make much sense of it, I'm a computer guy but not that far into the really specific components), and the main Computer window and properties.

If you can make any sense of it, please let me know. Also, if you might need any other readings, just ask.

Thanks,

jmki1

EDIT:

Having problems with these photos. If you need them, let me know.

Edited by maki2012, 29 April 2010 - 07:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

To post photos use the following:

[img]yourphotolinkhere[/img]

Host them at http://www.tinypic.com or your favorite photohosting place.

#3 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:56 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

What all do you have stored in My Documents?

#5 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

Yeah, I do have a huge Users folder. It contains music docs vids contacts, all the usual stuff. About half is music and the other half is converted vids.

EDIT:
Oh and that last pic is just what happens when i highlight everything in root:\ and rmb click properties. My my docs folder is around 30gb

Edited by maki2012, 05 May 2010 - 07:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users