Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fix-It Essentials 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 txgrammy6217

txgrammy6217

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

I renewed my Kaspersky and they included Fix-It Essentials 10 for free.
Can someone who knows share the pluses/minuses/pitfalls/benefits of installing and running.
I don't want to run it without more information.
Thanks so much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

Hmm...interesting offer by Kaspersky...

Posted Image

I use this software myself (since version 8) on all my computers. You can get it at Wal-Mart for less than $40 last time I checked.

It does have useful utilities, diagnostics, optimizers (don't touch the registry cleaner with a 10 foot pole, though), virus scanner, etc...but the real gem to me is Recovery Commander.

Recovery Commander periodically creates checkpoints, which are files that store information about your computer. Recovery Commander always creates checkpoints of the registry, system files, and boot files. You can also specify folders and files to include in Recovery Commander checkpoints.

By restoring a checkpoint, you can return to a past configuration. For example, if you install software, and then your computer no longer functions properly, you can restore a checkpoint made before you installed the software.

Recovery Commander can save critical system information so you can recover from corrupt or damaged registry issues, a damaged boot record, missing system files, and BOOT.INI and BCD errors.

Recovery Commander can also create System Restore checkpoints. System Restore checkpoints save information about registry settings and system information that Windows uses. System Restore checkpoints do not contain personal files, such as the contents of the My Documents folder.

Recovery Commander has saved my butt more than once. Not only can you schedule daily checkpoint creation, but it also recognizes when you run a setup/installer and offers to create a checkpoint before allowing the setup to continue (helpful if program you're installing doesn't work or crashes your computer...you can roll back to the checkpoint).

Like I said, this is useful software, but be careful with it. It has some powerful components to it. I don't recommend running the "One-Click Fixes".

If you're using Kaspersky, you should disable the anti-virus that gets installed along with Fix-It (Sunbelt Software). Once you get it installed, I can show you how to disable it. Running 2 AV's will only cause problems...not make your computer any safer.

Buying Recovery Commander alone from Avanquest (the company that makes Fix-It) costs $40, so you're getting a bonus (well, it's free anyway, but you get my point...it's bundled with everything else).

So yes, I recommend having this software installed. It is very useful. :thumbsup:

Once you get it installed, feel free to ask any questions you might have, and I will be more than happy to answer them. It only takes a second for me to open up my copy of Fix-It and take a look at something you might ask about, make suggestions, offer guidance, etc...
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users