Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager won't open - no other errors

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Swarms

Swarms

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

Hello,

I'm new here, should this be in "Am I infected instead?"

For a while now I have noticed that my task manager won't open. I have run every scan I can think of and can't seem to find anything wrong. I have tried manually editing the registry but that didn't seem to help either. I can make a copy of taskmgr.exe and the copy opens fine, but the original does nothing. I can't delete the original taskmgr.exe because of a permission issue, which I'm assuming is normal but maybe not. It says something about trustedinstaller. The only thing potentially weird that I couldn't find any information about is a svchost.exe running in process explorer that is originating from system32\drivers\sysmgr\init which doesn't seem right. It's also using about 25% CPU whereas the "good" svchosts are using almost none. If I kill it they come right back.

Malwarebytes comes back clean. Spybot came back clean. HJT has a lot of entries for missing files but nothing obvious that I can see other than the svchost I mentioned.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 so I don't think I can run combofix.

GMER found no rootkit, but gave an error because from what I understand it doesn't perform well under x64.

What logs can I show to hopefully get a little help? I have put this off for a while because I had a workaround but I don't like the idea that something isn't performing right and there may be a hidden nasty causing it.

Thanks in advance.

The picture is a screenshot of my PE showing the [too many?] svchost, and the "bad" ones I think on the bottom in yellow. Posted Image

Edited by Swarms, 30 April 2010 - 03:24 PM.
Topic moved from Windows 7 forum to Am I Infected ~ Elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users