Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Repair Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:45 PM

Hi,

Do you really need a Registry Repair program to correct registry changes? I've found that using them seems to interfere with using Internet Movie Streaming. I've narrowed down the streaming not working to using Registry Repair programs, particularly 3B's, plus a few security programs. I've been doing without registry repair so that I can stream and I don't seem to be having to much problem running programs. But I've recently canceled my membership to the Movie Club I've been in and I'm thinking of using the 3B Registry Repair program again. But I don't want to interfere in other programs by using it. So do these registry mistakes just keep building up or does Windows automatically correct them over time? Doesn't Windows XP have some kind of registry repair program automatically incorporated to do this? Or what does Windows have that I could use for this and how would I use it? (Where would I find out how to?) Thank you.

Sincerely,

John :thumbsup:

PS Also what does it mean that the spell check here flips all over the screen before it settles down to a different place each time or upper left corner?
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

What do you mean by the spekchecker? send me a pm about it so i dont hijackthis thread about it

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:43 PM

Hi Grinler,

I'm referring to your "Spelchek" at the bottom of the post. When I use it to spell check it pops up in 2 to 4 different places starting from the lower right side of the page before it finally settles down in the upper left hand corner of the page to do it's spell check job. It works fine once it stops dancing all over the page. I was just wondering what I might do to stabilize my programing so that it doesn't do that dance. If you know how to do that I'd appreciate hearing. Also if you know about the other question I asked about, whether or not you really need a Registry Repair program or not? I'd appreciate hearing about that too. Thank you.

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 06:42 AM

I don't feel that registry repair programs are necessary unless you have a specific issue to deal with and this can be easily done using regedit.exe. I have used the Issues function in Ccleaner to view so called registry issues as I install and remove many programs for research purposes for the forum and this allows a quick view to see if the uninstall left behind any entries. I much prefer a registry cleaner that allows you to selectively remove identified entries rather than one that uses an all or nothing approach. Both Ccleaner and Toni Art's EasyClean have this feature and are free.

Beyond that, XP doesn't have a tool for registry repair like ME and 98 had (scanreg.exe) but rather uses System Restore.

Do you have a popup blocker that may be interfering with SpelChek? It works fine for me.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:01 AM

John, off topic but I am not having that problem in either firefox or IE when i test it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users