Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

safe mode question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slykitten

slykitten

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:18 PM

I have received a virus and am trying to wipe out all the files related to it. My virus scan hasn't been able to detect them, so I would like to use the "Autoruns" program to see what is starting up that shouldn't.
The instructions say i should go into Safe Mode before running Autoruns, so the virus can't reinstall itself after i delete it, but when i went into Safe Mode, I could not open the program or get on the internet for further instructions.

My question is, do I really need to be in Safe mode to find and eradicate this problem? And if so, how do I do it?

Thank you so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaptain

Kaptain

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:47 PM

You can see and disable services and programs that run on start-up by pressing "Start" > "Run" and typing "msconfig". Be careful not to uncheck services that are needed for windows to start up, otherwise you might run into more problems.

good luck

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:55 PM

If you have a virus, and your AV cannot detect it, then how do you know you have a virus?

You can use the BC startup database to check programs before deleting.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:09 PM

Autoruns has nothing to do with running in Safe Mode. It is a program designed to show you everything that starts at boot, regardless of location. You can then disable or delete any items you do not want running.

What instructions were you looking at?

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:17 PM

What is your AV, and did you run any other scans like Spyware S&D, AdAware, Ewido suite?

Edited by dc3, 27 September 2005 - 10:18 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 slykitten

slykitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:29 PM

Hey guys, I figured it out! I was using the bleeping computer instructions to remove trojans etc, and i didn't see that i needed to extract Autoruns to C:/Autoruns, so when i tried to access it from safe mode, it wasn't in a place i could reach. I needed to delete the files while in Safe Mode so they could not notice they were being deleted and hide themselves somewhere else.
Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users