Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE, Firefox Browsers stop working after connecting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmorg51

jmorg51

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:58 PM

I'm having a problem with my internet connection. I travel, have Comcast cable modem at home, use cat 5 and 54G wireless to connect at different locations in the house. At work, from Florida to Texas on the coast, I use a Sprint 3G card, or tether my Samsung Impression with USB or Bluetooth.
I make the connection, and the network icon on the task bar shows Local & Internet. I can go online. With IE or Firefox, after a while, the pages hang. Sometimes, when one hangs, the other browser will work, but not for long. When I open the Task Manager, if the pages are closed, nothing will show in Applications. If IE or Firefox is open, it is listed, and you can close it. On the Processes tab, they will be open, and at least one of each will not close. The network icon still shows Local & Internet, and non browser programs can still access the internet, and will update. The system must be rebooted to use the browsers.
I've used a 6 connection types I have and all do this. All updates are scans are run weekly. This has been going on for several months. All my XP boxes work fine on the same connections. I am guessing it has to be in the networking or security settings.

HELP!

Pavilion dv9700 Notebook
Vista 64-bit Home Premium service Pack 2
Intel Core2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50Ghz
3.00 GB Ram, Western Digital 500,320 GB Hard Drives

3 connection methods

Comcast Cable Modem, Cat 5 & 54G Wireless
Sprint Compass 597 Card
AT&T Samsung Impression. Tethered USB or Bluetooth.

Avast! AntiVirus
SpyBot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware
Zone Alarm Firewall
Secunia PSI to track updates

After a period of time, browsers stop working, on all connection types. 7 minutes to 7 hours.

Network icon on taskbar says Access: Local and Internet.
iexplorer.exe, and firefox.exe will usually be open in Processes of task manager, but not in Applications. They cannot be shut down. Must reboot to use browser.
If Spybot Immunization is started, it will warn that browsers must be closed first.
Non browser programs can access the internet. Spybot, Avast!, Ad-aware, itunes, Windows Update, Adobe Reader, can still update online after the browsers stop working.
Housecall & Malwarebytes have also been ran.

Device Manager.
6TO4 showed a bad driver. Uninstalled. Has not prompted to reinstall driver.

pop-up on start-up flashes, a couple of times stayed on screen.
C-motech RDEVCHG
Run Time Device Change.

pop-up on start-up sometimes
Microsoft Sync has stopped working!
Application Name mobsync.exe

EDIT: Moved from Vista to more appropriate Networking ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2010 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

Go into your network properties and uncheck the boxes that I have unchecked here:

Posted Image

#3 jmorg51

jmorg51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

Both Internet Protocol Versions and both Link Layers were checked.

Changed to just I P V 4(TPC/IPv6) checked.

Going to reboot and see what happens.

#4 jmorg51

jmorg51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

OK, 54G connection was open for about 30 minutes before the browsers stopped responding. Closed all windows, iexplorer.exe and forefox.exe both still open in Task Manager Processes and will not close.
Connected with Sprint 3G Compass 597 card. Firefox: Firefox is not responding, close window or restart system... IE opened blank, clicked a link, Website found, Waiting for reply... Nothing happens.
Zone Alarm Shows the "Z" or box with one red, one green bar in the Task Bar Animation.
Spybot downloaded a 6.4 MB update. Clicked Immunize, "Open browsers detected. Internet Explorer & Firefox.
Restarted the system.

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2010 - 02:29 PM.

#5 jmorg51

jmorg51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

Back home for a couple of days.

Still having browser failure.

When I opened the Network in Control Panel, it took forever to open.

Not responding pop up, but finally opened.

I may just reinstall the system if nothing effective is posted soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users