Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nervous about going to SP3 on XP

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 troubleshooter83

troubleshooter83

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hello all

I am pretty concerned about upgrading my windows xp to service pack 3. If somthing were to go wrong it would me a wreck. I have heard horror stories already about people running into boot loop problems after installing it. Also i installed it at work and it got stuck on performing cleanup i ended up cancling it throught task manager and it seems to be ok. I have read though that you can install it in safe-mode is this true has anyone tried it?

Can anyone give me some positive feedback about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Is this an OEM Machine like Dell, HP, Gateway, and others or is this a custom built?

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

Well, just to put my two cents in, I've not had any trouble at all using Windows XP with service pack 3.

My company has it installed in over a thousand networked HP desktop computers working that sem to be working just fine (mine is a model HP d530).

I've also installed service pack 3 in four Windows XP and one Windows XP Pro machines that I custom built for myself and family members. Installation went fine in normal Windows mode, with the only problems being the occassional virus or spyware that my kids get infected with.

Therefore, I think service pack 3 is worth your giving a try.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

1. You can't install SP3 in safe mode.

2. The people who had the reboot issues were some people who had HP/Compaq and some other OEM boxes where said companies used one image for both AMD and Intel. SP3 re-enabled the Intel processor driver on restart, causing AMD boxes to have an infinite loop.

If you have an Intel proc, you don't need to worry. If you have an AMD, check the registry in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm and make sure that Start is set to 4. If not, change it to 4. You can also do the same for any other control sets you see listed.

#5 troubleshooter83

troubleshooter83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

Is this an OEM Machine like Dell, HP, Gateway, and others or is this a custom built?

I have a Dell well that have the same problem as the compaq/hp. Its a intel

Edited by troubleshooter83, 29 April 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

what is the model number of your dell, also as stated you should not have a problem installing SP3 just make sure that once you start it just leave the computer alone and let it finish, it takes some time to complete.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

Good idea to back up first, just in case.

I have installed SP3 hundreds of times on all kinds of systems with no issues.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

I have been holding off on installing SP3. Microsoft has the following to prevent continuous booting.
You people more knowledgeable than I -Do you think this is necessary.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...item=pv-60484-2

#9 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:17 PM

Necessary as in necessary to run the hotfix from HP before installing SP3? Only if you have an AMD processor. Or you can just edit the registry in the location I mentioned above; the hotfix probably just does the same thing.

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

yes but the hotfix is safer, editing the registry is dangerous and can render a machine unbootable. Also I have an HP pavillion dv8000 with an AMD and I had no problem with the SP3 update.

Edited by computerxpds, 29 April 2010 - 07:09 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

I installed sp3 on my HP laptop no problem at all. Though, making backups are always a good idea.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:23 AM

Yea, I have to pipe in with my two cents worth too, although it is probably not even worth that considering the fact that the others in this thread are more knowledgeable than I am about these things. I am only replying to point out one potential problem that one could have with this upgrade that has not been mentioned here.

I believe that upgrading to SP3 is a good idea, as long as you have quite a bit of ram. I have heard that when a computer does not have a lot of ram that upgrading to that can cause the system to slow down. I only have 640 meg of ram so I have not upgraded to it, but if I had a gig or more of it, I do not think I would hesitate to upgrade to it. A lot of programs, especially security programs, do require it.

As long as you have an Intel processor, I doubt you will have any problems with the upgrade, even if you do not have a lot of ram. Even with less ram, the upgrade process would probably go fine, it would just be the speed of the system after it is installed that might be a problem.

Just one more word of caution, even though I am not sure it would cause a problem, I would make sure your system is free from malware before upgrading.

Edited by Stang777, 30 April 2010 - 01:27 AM.

#13 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

I have a Dell well that have the same problem as the compaq/hp. Its a intel

I have updated over a dozen Dell Dimension desktop 3000 and 4700 models with no issues at all. No performance issues after the install either.

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

Yea, I have to pipe in with my two cents worth too, although it is probably not even worth that considering the fact that the others in this thread are more knowledgeable than I am about these things. I am only replying to point out one potential problem that one could have with this upgrade that has not been mentioned here.

I believe that upgrading to SP3 is a good idea, as long as you have quite a bit of ram. I have heard that when a computer does not have a lot of ram that upgrading to that can cause the system to slow down. I only have 640 meg of ram so I have not upgraded to it, but if I had a gig or more of it, I do not think I would hesitate to upgrade to it. A lot of programs, especially security programs, do require it.

As long as you have an Intel processor, I doubt you will have any problems with the upgrade, even if you do not have a lot of ram. Even with less ram, the upgrade process would probably go fine, it would just be the speed of the system after it is installed that might be a problem.

Just one more word of caution, even though I am not sure it would cause a problem, I would make sure your system is free from malware before upgrading.

I have 512mb of RAM on my system and had no problem with SP3 or any other updates. That is probably true for most users except those who have a phobia about Windows updates.

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

Nothing to be nervous about,if you download carefully.

One problem that could arise,and MS dont tell you, is if you don't turn off your Firewall,

and Antivirus while downloading,

parts of the download could be missing.

It happened to me.

I found out the hard way. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users