Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Issue with Outlook 2007

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jayspot

jayspot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

Hi there - hope all is well. Very strange question a client has been experiencing. Trying to avoid a full office suite reinstall but I will probably end up needing to do so. Let's see if any of you have ever seen this issue before.

Client uses Outlook 2007 for email. Depending on the email, and it seems to be very random, SOME links work and SOME do not work (to the point where Outlook does not even supply an error or warning saying link has been blocked - click here to allow). The links are functional. If I hit forward and ctrl+click, the same link may even open or may still not open. THEN, once a link that does not open is selected, moving the cursor around with the mouse in future email does NOT work. Client needs to use the arrow keys to move the cursor. There is a registry fix for this (data folder in word - delete a key and the cursor functions again). The cursor works fine until another link that does not open is chosen. And like I said, 50% of incoming email work if containing a link or links, 50% does not.

I add the problematic sender to the safe senders list, does not help. It would seem that only certain senders are problematic. I unchecked disable links and other functionality in phishing email even though they are not being sent to junk mail - no help. I tried an office repair - no help. It is strange how the link issue causes the mouse cursor issue. And even more strangely, when the cursor does not change positions in outlook with the mouse and need for arrow keys are needed, microsoft word works FINE! Cursor can be moved with mouse! Word is used as the editor for Outlook and the registry fix is made under Office 12's Word's data folder. SO strange.

The client does not have any viruses or spyware residing on the machine - malwarebytes and avast finish well.

Any ideas other than a software reinstall?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users