Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosing an OS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mithos

Mithos

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

Are there any sites that do good, practical, every-day comparisons?

The kind of thing like timing the time it takes to boot up with a load of crap-ware installed (since few people have a fresh install for long), or how long it takes to open five instances of photoshop?

I do do some mathematical modelling, but even so I'm less interested in knowing how long it takes to calculate the next prime number under differing OSes and I'd rather know how long it takes to check my emails from a cold start.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

try this http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/w...view?page=0%2C0 in all actuality though a lot depends on your hardware to. If its to old for windows 7 Xp is going to load slower, etc etc. Most online benchmarkers are still putting XP pro as slightly outperforming windows 7 in everything but gaming, but not by a huge margin, Im using 7 myself and am so far pleased with its performance, more so then I was with XP.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:59 PM

I agree with the_patriot09. If your hardware can handle it and you have the money to buy it, there is no reason to not get Windows 7. Yes, XP does edge it out a little in performance, but the pros (new features and improved interface) of Windows 7 far outweigh the cons.

Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if your computer can run Windows 7. Report back here with the results.

The worst thing you can do is try to put Windows 7 on old hardware that has no Windows 7 support of any kind (i.e. drivers). If your computer came with Vista, then Windows 7 will run better than that. Like I said, XP edges out 7 for resource usage and boot times...but to me, Windows 7 is more than worth it. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users