Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just built computer, having some issues, help is appreicated

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shortyroid

shortyroid

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

Okay, it's been 4 years since I last build a computer. I'll tell you the issue, then give you some details.

After completing plugging everything in (PSU to the components), I was ready to turn it on. To my surprise the computer did turn on. However, after about 30 seconds, the computer shut off on it's own. I get to the BIOS screen, but everytime I turn it on, it's shuts right back off after about 30 seconds. Here is what I have:

My case is the COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper (has one 120mm Rear fan, and 3 200mm blue LED fans).
I have the BIOSTAR TPOWER i55 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard.
An SSD drive (for Windows only) and a 1 TB HDD.
Two ASUS Black 24X DVD+R (RW, etc.)
Video card is XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit
My PSU is Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3
The CPU is Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz

My first thought was, not enough power, maybe go up to a 1,000W.

Crap, for all I know, I could have not plugged in everything (but did double check, and triple check, and read directions from the MB).

Anything I should check? Maybe the processor isn't plugged in all the way. What ever help any one can throw out, I'll take.

Thank you all..... forum seems great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

I would start with a heatsink. Intel CPUs have a built in shutdown when they sense a overheat, they shut down immediatly when they hit the threshhold temp, and it doesnt take long for a CPU to hit that temperature If the heatsink isn't mounted properly or the thermal interface material isnt applied correctly. I would remove the heatsink, remove the old TIM, then reapply, put a small amount on the CPU die, about the size of a small grain of rice, then spread it evenly around the die using a credit card (or your fingers, like I do) Then reinstall the heatsink, making sure it sits on the CPU evenly. If its one of those pin type heatsinks that Intel loves, be very careful, they sometimes don't like to lock in place, and come unclipped, even though "technically" the thing is through the hole in the motherboard, the heatsink isnt sitting over the CPU correctly, even though at a glance appears to be on right.

Edited by the_patriot09, 29 April 2010 - 10:29 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 shortyroid

shortyroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

That makes since...when I get home from work, I'll double check the CPU, paste, and heatsink.

Thanks a lot!

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

Hope it solves your problem. If not, just post here again (or if it does post an update) and we will see what else we can do about it. :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 shortyroid

shortyroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

Thanks man....it worked. Bought some paste, put a rice size amount on the CPU and rubbed it around. Did the same for the heatsink. Made sure it was on correctly, and it worked like a charm.

I had one more question. I saved Windows 7 on my SSD for booting purposes only. How can I be sure that everything I save doesn't go to the SSD and goes to my internal HDD? The only thing I saw in BIOS was to sent the boot to whatever drive I want; which I did, to my SSD. Wasn't sure if there's something I need to do when Windows is up to set my drives to do something....like in disk management. Hope this makes sense.

Either way, I appreciate the help! Have a good one.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

putting it on the heatsink is a bit excessive. only needed it on the CPU. but glad it worked for ya. As far as saving your files to other drives, thats controlled in windows. Just make sure whenever you go to install or save something you manually change the location to the other drive. Should be a way to set the my documents folder to auto save everything by finding my documents, right click, properties, location, then move.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users