Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Googlebar redirection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 paulgreco

paulgreco

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

Hi all, hope you can help me.

I've recently picked up a bug of some sort that has taken over my google toolbar. Originally it happened in IE, I installed Firefox and it happens there too. Basically, if I search for something in the toolbar, it throws up genuine-looking results but the links mostly redirect you to ad pages. It doesn't seem to happen if you use the google site. Also, with IE, it was throwing up ad pages randomly while surfing too - this doesn't seem to be happening with Firefox.

Is it possible to get rid of this malware? I wouldn't mind getting rid of the searchbars completely, but it doesn't seem possible. I wouldn't mind getting to the bottom of this if you have any ideas. I downloaded HijackThis and this is the log it threw up. I hope it's okay to show this: I know you don't want ComboFix logs but this is NOT ComboFix. I am running XP. I've run Spybot - done systems restores too. No joy.

Edited by quietman7, 29 April 2010 - 11:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

Please do not start new threads or duplicate topics as this causes confusion and makes it more difficult to get the help you need to resolve your issues. Further, it necessitates staff spending time with housecleaning to remove those duplicate postings (5 in your case)...time which could have been provided to others needing assistance.

DDS/HijackThis logs are not permitted in this forum. Instead they need to be posted in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum. However, you did not follow the required instructions and did not include a complete log so your topic was edited to remove it.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help". If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.

Start a new topic and post your DDS log along with the Win32kDiag.txt and Log.txt reports in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If DDS will not run, then just post the results of the Win32kDiag.txt and Log.txt. Be sure to include a note that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 paulgreco

paulgreco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Yep, I already apologised for the duplicates - sorry again. Obviously it was not done intentionally. The site was playing up and every time I clicked to post, an error message came up. Each time I wrongly assumed the error message was right and my topic had not been posted. It had. As soon as I realised I had posted six times, I wrote an apology. You would not have had the clean-up job had there been a way to delete my own posts / threads. If there is a way, I missed it.

Thanks, and I'll post over in the right section now.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

I already apologised for the duplicates

I did not see it until after I cleaned everything else up. In any case, all is well not so good luck with posting your log. Remember to post the entire log or it will take longer to get assistance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users