Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WoW account security compromised

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fredp333

fredp333

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:14 AM

Hello,

Just wondering if there is any consensus on what may cause World of Warcraft account security problems that lead to accounts being hacked/taken over. The Blizzard site lists several common schemes and they all sound likely, but none of them apply to my specific situation. My friend's account was hacked and she does not respond to any phishing attempts, she doesn't go to bizarre locations on the web, she has a mac and has never had virus problems, she doesn't share her information with anyone, etc. I'm just wracking my brain trying to figure out how her account, and 5 other members of our guild with similar stories, got their accounts hacked in recent months. I'm wondering if maybe one of the sites we trust is compromised? The one that manages our guild information, etc? Any thoughts/ideas/etc. are appreciated.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:41 AM

its possible, or it could just be a really good hacker. next to impossible to point fingers, youd need access to the server log and spend a lot of time and effort backtracing ips. etc. etc etc. What would be more important is making sure it doesn't happen again. Perhaps change your password monthly.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Woolu

Woolu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:37 AM

Hello,

Just wondering if there is any consensus on what may cause World of Warcraft account security problems that lead to accounts being hacked/taken over. The Blizzard site lists several common schemes and they all sound likely, but none of them apply to my specific situation. My friend's account was hacked and she does not respond to any phishing attempts, she doesn't go to bizarre locations on the web, she has a mac and has never had virus problems, she doesn't share her information with anyone, etc. I'm just wracking my brain trying to figure out how her account, and 5 other members of our guild with similar stories, got their accounts hacked in recent months. I'm wondering if maybe one of the sites we trust is compromised? The one that manages our guild information, etc? Any thoughts/ideas/etc. are appreciated.

Thank you!

Ask them if any of them use a smart phone with an email application that has their battle.net account tied to that email address. I recently got hacked and figured out this was how they got my account info. Right before they hacked it, I recieved a text message from an international number in china that was basically trying to sell me gold. A text message mind you, not an email. I believe they are using trojan dialers to hack smart phones. When I contacted Blizzard tech support and told them about this, they kinda just ignored what I said and told me that they would investigate it. I have their number and everything, and I know it was a gold farmer because when I got my stuff back, they didnt touch my paladin. They used him to farm with, and best part was that they made some transfers with my mage and when I got my stuff back I had 20k gold restored. SCORE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users