Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

all restore points deleted

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zed_711

zed_711

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:21 AM

Hi everybody. I have windows XP home sp3. Yesterday after I have installed KB976002 ( browser choice ) from Microsoft all my restore points was deleted. I recognized this because I used defraggler after the installation: there was +10% of freespace on hard disc. My programs are: Avira antivir 9 free, Comodo firewall, Malwarebites free, HijackThis, Spywarebluster, jre6-u20, Adobe reader, Outlook, Rootkit buster, Rootkit Revealer, Process explorer, Ccleaner, Defraggler, Skype and Firefox.
I have alredy installed Firefox!
I HAVEN'T use Ccleaner!
There was no checkpoint system and the monitoring was always on
My pc is a pentium 4 CPU 1.50 GHz 512 MB Ram
I think ( it seems an automatic process, it's the second time that it occurs) that is due to:
1) malfunction of Ccleaner (unlikely, it can't delete the last restore point)
2) limitation of the motherboard
3) limitation of the ram
Thankyou for the help.
zed_711

Edited by zed_711, 29 April 2010 - 12:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:30 AM

Check to make sure that System Restore is enabled.

#3 pcs365_1

pcs365_1

• Banned
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hi friend,

As rightly said by cryptodan, if the System Restore is turned off Windows XP removes the restore points that track changes in Windows. After you turn off System Restore, you can no longer restore Windows XP to an earlier time.

When you turn on System Restore, Windows XP creates restore points to track changes in Windows. After you turn on System Restore, you can restore Windows to the time of the earliest available restore point.

Try the below steps to turn on System Restore if it is off:

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
3. Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
4. Click OK.

After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.

Do post the results (if working or not). Good Luck :thumbsup:

Regards,
PCS365_1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not mail me for personal help or advice, that is what our forums are for
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users