Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Help plz :)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sizmasta

sizmasta

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:55 PM

I have a maxtor 500 gig hard drive. I have been putting pics, videos and music on it for a couple of years now (but never filled it) anyway, I recently bought a satellite system that requires a hard drive to turn it into a PVR. So I hooked my HD up to try it out. Now when I try and hook it up to my computer, it doesn't show the drive at all. I can see it in "device manager". Did I lose all my old pix/vids and music? I have tried running "recover my files", it recover some files, but only a small percentage of them......

please help

thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:14 AM

Unfortunately it may be that you have indeed lost your files. A PVR will typically reformat a drive into its own proprietary format, which can make life difficult for recovery software. Googling to find if anyone knows the file system format for the brand of PVR may help, or you might find someone else who has dealt with the same problem.

Beyond that, the only approach I can think of without involving a lot of money is to try some alternative recovery software. Common suggestions are Recuva, PC Inspector, and I've seen consistent praise for GetDataBack, but this is not a free one.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 sizmasta

sizmasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

Unfortunately it may be that you have indeed lost your files. A PVR will typically reformat a drive into its own proprietary format, which can make life difficult for recovery software. Googling to find if anyone knows the file system format for the brand of PVR may help, or you might find someone else who has dealt with the same problem.

Beyond that, the only approach I can think of without involving a lot of money is to try some alternative recovery software. Common suggestions are Recuva, PC Inspector, and I've seen consistent praise for GetDataBack, but this is not a free one.

Okay, I will get them a shot...... thanx again for the reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users