Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding A Suitable PCI Sound Card for Recording

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

Recently my onboard Realtek ac97 audio started givin' a few problems, so I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers and fixed it. Well, sort of...Music plays fine when using the Media Player, but not when I try to record guitar through the front pink jack. Don't know how many of you are familiar with programs such as Cakewalk, Sonar, etc. I use the Hp m1070n Media Center PC as a low budget home studio. Before I had the problem with the drivers, everything worked fine. Well, I always had this problem when I plugged in the guitar. If I plugged the cord (1/4" reduced to 1/8") all the way in I would only get sound coming from the left speaker. If I wiggled and pulled gently on the cord, it would eventually come through both channels. Tried different cords, but not the problem. Anyway, after reinstalling the drivers, I plugged my guitar in and there was sound (still with the "left channel only" thing). Opened up Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3, changed the inputs to receive the guitar signal, imported a drum track and was ready to record! Recorded a track of guitar and when I played it back the guitar was like a second and a half behind the drums. Sounded like CRAP! Spent some time playing with latency controls in the program, but that only seemed to make it worse. Anyone know how to fix this? If there's no fixing it, I'm gonna go with a PCI audio card. I like the M-Audio cards but they apparently have compatibility issues with XP Media Center Edition. Could anyone recommend a decent PCI card for an extremely low budget home studio? Not looking to spend more than $40-75. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:24 PM

sounds like defective hardware-would this work for ya? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-027-_-Product and I dont know if you have any PCI express lanes, but this would be a good card if you do http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-023-_-Product

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:37 AM

Creative? Really? There are a number of choices when it comes to PCI audio cards. I stay away from Creative cards or anything with the X-Fi audio chip inside due to past business practices from Creative.

We will start off at the high-end and work down.
ASUS Xonar D2 - This is a high-end pro-sumer card aimed at music creators or audiophiles. It comes with all the Dolby technologies built in. This is a great card for anyone working with music or home theaters. I have one of these cards. Even though it is way outside your price range, I use it as a reference.

ASUS Xonar D1 - This is a step down from the D2. It has many of the same features, but some of the higher-end stuff, like the interference shield and coax inputs, are gone.

HT | OMEGA STRIKER - This is very similar to the D1, it even uses a similar audio processing chip, but has a few more connectors for the same price. However, it does not have all of the Dolby technologies the Xonar cards have.

DIAMOND XtremeSound XS71DDL - A more basic card using a mid-range C-Media chip. This card features plenty of connectors, but doesn't have many Dolby stuff built in. In terms of audio quality, this is a step down from the other cards listed.

Turtle Beach RIVIERA - This is a simple, basic card. It's a little better than the on-board stuff.

3939.png

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:54 AM

Creative cards have never steared me wrong, and its within his budget.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

...As do most of my cards. Most people have a love 'em or hate 'em view on Creative. I've been burned by them before and that is why I suggest C-Media cards above. All of the cards in the post should work fine, for now.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users