Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router can't get signal through cable modem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stickleyc

stickleyc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:56 PM

I have a d-link DI-524 wireless router that i'm attempting to set-up with my cable modem for my 2 laptops (both running XP home).

I followed the configure procedure on my router and the computers will find the router and have excellent signal. However, when i try to open my IE browser, i get the page not found screen where it instructs you to go set your browser settings to "automatically detect" or reload. (My browser settings are on automatically detect" so that doesn't appear to be the problem).

I brought the router to work and tested it on the direct network connection (not through the cable modem) and it works fine so it appears the router is set-up right but that it can't get the signal between the modem and the router. (the modem works fine if i hardwire directly from it into my computer).

So, something appears to be blocking the internet signal between the modem and the router.

I'm sure it's something simple, i just can't figure it out.

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:41 PM

I had a similar problem ...are your getting more then 1 local area connection?

"As it was in the beginning, it will be in the end "

#3 stickleyc

stickleyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:35 PM

yes and no. i'm only getting one signal that's coming from my router but i do pick up all my neighbors signals :thumbsup: you know how that goes.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:14 PM

Does your modem have both ethernet and a USB connection? Each one has a different MAC. The ISP will only provision one. So If you are connected thru the ethernet but the ISP originally assigned the USB that will have to be changed. If you have both port on the modem it's like having two modems. The little stickers that came with the modem will have a MAC for each.
This may or may not be the problem, but since your LAN is working it's a good place to start.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:15 PM

are you enabling your connection only. and make sure your getting a 192.168.x.x number in ip address.. start-run "cmd"-type "ipconfig" in the new window-ip adress should be 192.168.x.x

#6 wannabeadmin141

wannabeadmin141

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:16 PM

Acklan - thats the exact problem i had that i was mentioning in my first post =)

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

Close friend had that issue. I was luck I asked questions when the Cable Guy installed mine so many moons ago.
It may not be the problem but it's as good as any place to start. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:14 PM

acklan is right, most routers also provide a "clone mac address" option where it will acquire the mac address of the node that is logged on and use that to authenticate with the isp's server. this will save you a call to the isp.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#9 Sierragt

Sierragt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:48 AM

Just found this forum, sorry for the delay. I had this identical problem when I would switch computers that were directly connected to the cable modem.

Cable modems are finicky in that they get attached to the mac address of whatever adapter they are connected to. When I would switch computers, often I would have to call the cable company to have the tech support "reset" the modem. You could call and tell them to do a hard reset on your modem. Basically that wipes the modem clean and it will start over like brand new. OR you can try logging into your modem and reset it yourself. Try opening 192.168.100.1 in your browser, many of the cable modems use this address. In that address you should find a reset to factory defaults button.

I would try that. Hope it helps.
Sierragt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users