Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus, worm ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 audiomanb

audiomanb

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

I have been noticing my machine running sluggish lately and observed a couple things that concern me. When I log in at my Windows login, (I have several users on this machine) I notice a full screen window that opens for a split second then closes. I have looked at task manger and not really found anything noticable for me (an amateur). I tried to run MSCONFIG to see what may be in startup, but it wil not lauch. I undrstand that can be a flag for problems. I have AVG running and also ran Adaware only find some cookies, etc to be removed. I did also run Malware bytes, which did find a couple of registry entries. I remember from another time your team assisted me, you had me run RSIT.EXE. I have done that again and can forward it to you. The machine continues to run fairly well.
Any suggestions on something in the file that looks like a problem would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Edited by Budapest, 28 April 2010 - 07:53 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:43 AM

Is this an HP computer? If not, do you have an HP printer installed with your system? The reason I asked is that HP computers use the following files which can be a known source of some phantom processes:

Hpcmpmgr.exe is installed on most computers to support HP products, such as the HP Photosmart, Deskjet, and All-In-One printers. Hpcmpmgr.exe is the main process belonging to the HP Component Manager and is related to their multimedia products. This program installs as a startup but is non-essential process to the running of the system but it appears to call upon two other programs: hptskmgr.exe and HPOSM.exe

HPOSM.exe is the HP Solution Manager Module that is part of the HP CORE Technolgy system and is installed with various HP products. To stop hposm.exe from running, you have to disable HPOSM.exe which should be listed in msconfig.

Hptskmgr.exe is a process associated with the HP Task Management Component included in the CORE Technolgy software from HP and is located in C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\comp\. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system and can be removed using the control panel Add\Remove programs applet.

HPQWMI.exe is a process installed with the drivers for HP hardware and provides additional diagnostics functionality for their products. It provides WMI Interface that allows your system to collect hardware information either locally or remotely.

I have encountered users who have reported an unknown phantom process (no name) related to a flashing white icon or blue box with a small white square that briefly appears in the Taskbar. The icon first appears during startup, then reappears every 15 minutes for one or two seconds and will show up one last time when the computer is shutting down. This phantom process was traced to HP-related processes like hpcmpmgr.exe and hptskmgr.exe. Disabling/unchecking hpcmpmgr.exe from the system startup list kept the icon flash from appearing again.

If you don't use any HP products, you may need to investigate and monitor the processes running on your system until you track down the responsible one. These are tools that can be used to do that:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users