Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Let Me Google That For You

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

Source: Lifehacker.com: http://lifehacker.com/5093525/let-me-googl...ps-your-friends

If you're a power searcher, or other people think you are, and you're getting tired of constant requests for answers to questions that a quick Google search would provide, try Let me google that for you. Enter a search term, click the Google Search button, and a link appears that you can copy, paste and send to your friend. When they click the link, an animation displays the complicated process of searching Google for information, and then directs the user to the actual search results page from Google.

Snarky? Yes. However, the time the user is forced to study the search term you used, they might pick up a trick or two in keyword syntax, search operators, literal strings and the like. After all, give a man an answer, and he'll come back tomorrow asking for more. Teach a man to search Google, and you'll have to offer tech support when he ends up downloading malware while cruising shadier purveyors of adult entertainment and file sharing software. :thumbsup:

Here's an example: Let me Google that for you! :flowers:

Pretty cool, No? Direct link to create your own search terms & generate url: http://lmgtfy.com/

Edited by Union_Thug, 28 April 2010 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

I love that site. I used it all the time on another computer site I used to frequent..........

#3 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Yeah my teacher showed me that site just a couple months ago..Had never heard of it before, but plan on using it to "show" people sites or what not.

-Scott

Btw, who made it? or is it a part of google?
Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,523 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

Btw, who made it? or is it a part of google?

This is for all those people that find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than google it for themselves.

Created by @coderifous and @rmm5t.

Inspired during a lunch conversation with @coderifous, @tmassing, @rmm5t, @EricStratton, and @methodvon.

The above from the 'about' button on the http://lmgtfy.com/ page. No it's not part of Google.

btw, all the @'s are twitter links on the page. I didn't recreate them in the quote.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Theonus

Theonus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

For anyone who plays "World of Warcraft" there's also now "Let Me Wowhead That For You" which I found pretty funny.

http://www.lmwhtfy.com/

:thumbsup:

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

LOL This was very funny :thumbsup:

#7 moparfan1234

moparfan1234

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:31 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=my+turn+to+test+it

how come it comes up like that when i do it?

Edited by moparfan1234, 15 September 2010 - 11:32 PM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,523 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

It replicates exactly what you entered as a search. As if you were doing it for somebody else. You entered my turn to test it which is shown in your URL as "q=my+turn+to+test+it"

Example: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=moparfan1234%2C+site%...ingcomputer.com

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 moparfan1234

moparfan1234

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

the fist post shows this == Here's an example: (((((Let me Google that for you!))))) for the link and mine gives up what i did before you click on it. thats what im not geting. how come his shows up like that^^

Edited by moparfan1234, 16 September 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#10 face pirate

face pirate

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

theres a couple off useful addons for msn that automatically generate a lmgtfy.com url with a command in a conversation

Msgpluslive.net - Scripts - Let Me Google That For You
Posted Image

Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

#11 stupac

stupac

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Thanks, this is going to be a big time saver for me!

#12 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:09 PM

Oh, my... This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing this!

Snarky? Why, yes - yes, I am... :thumbsup:

Edited by MelissaPleases, 13 November 2010 - 10:09 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#13 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

LMGTFY is great to use on those that are too lazy to google for themselves.
And for those who use "Bing"; http://lmbtfy.org/

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:52 PM

I like it so much ...

By clicking on the lmgtfy image below, the results bring up all my postings on the internet (if show all results is chosen). Too easy! Besides being colourful, it is a big reminder to .... use Google!

Edited by AustrAlien, 14 November 2010 - 10:58 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#15 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

Fun to use to mess around with friends, especially those who keep nagging you to google stuff for them...
Who said I couldn't have everything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users