Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is search assistant-my search?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mar4

mar4

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:36 PM

Can anyone tell me what is search assistant-my search and do I need it? I see it in my add/remove programs and I'm not sure if I should delete it or keep it.
Thanks, mar4

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:30 PM

Hi mar4.

Those programs are Browser Hijackers and considered adware/spyware and are at the least uneccessary and at the worst intrusive. Remove them from Add/Remove Programs and then Download and Run Trend Micro™ CWShredder to clean up the leftovers.

Do you use any Anti-Virus or other malware programs like Ad-Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 mar4

mar4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:28 PM

I use the AVG anti virus free trial version
mar4

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:01 PM

Get Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot-S&D. Install, update and run them. Use them regularily to keep your computer clean.

You can also use these online scanners:

Housecall Use Autoclean.
Panda ActiveScan
Bitdefender Check off Autoclean.
eTrust Check off Cure when the scan is done.
RAV Check off Autoclean.

Also read Simple steps to keep your computer secure! for some tips on computer security.

Edited by Leurgy, 26 September 2005 - 08:02 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users