Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly infected "---.exe corrupt"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shieran

shieran

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

K I had been asking over in the Win 7 forum (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic313223.html) and they sent me here. I have 32-bit Windows 7 Professional on an Acer AspireOne Netbook model AOA-150. I have 1 Gig of ram and a 1.60 GHz Intel Atom processor. I have been getting BSODs for a while, mostly with no side-affects. I tried uninstalling and replacing my virus (Avira AntiVir) with AVG which didn't work so I wound up going back to Avira. This morning my computer gave me a BSOD and when I restarted I got an error message as soon as I logged on saying "explorer.exe is corrupt" and said "The File or directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft is corrupt or unreadable. Please run chkdsk." I tried running chkdsk but it didn't work. (It's possible I didn't wait long enough, but it seemed like it'd froze.) Also when I tried going to that folder I found that it didn't even exist. I did a virus scan and didn't find anything so I'm completely at a loss. OH. Also I have to re-enter the password to my wifi network all the time now, instead of Windows remembering it. Idk if that's significant, but it happened after the last BSOD. Please help! Thanks.

-Dave-

EDIT: I said "---.exe" in the title because I've also gotten the error with Trillian (trillian.exe) and when I go to the properties of My Computer I get a "control.exe" error. Also a bunch of my start menu shortcuts are missing and apparently some of the programs actually are too but I don't seem to have more HD space then before so idk...

Edited by shieran, 28 April 2010 - 05:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shieran

shieran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:54 AM

Screw it. I messed it up more in my impatientness, am installing Ubuntu. Thanks anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users