Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can receive, not send out when visiting friends

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lilkel35

lilkel35

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:03 PM

I am trying to figure out why I cannot send out emails while I am visiting family. I have access to the internet and can receive emails without problem, but I cannot send out messages, even though I have confirmed that my outgoing email settings are correct. I can send out emails when I am at home and accessing my home network wirelessly, but when I visit family, I cannot send out emails. I am using a laptop with Vista and all of the current Windows updates and am using Outlook 2007 for email. My mom has the same problem when she comes to my house though. Her email works perfectly at home, but when she comes to my house and uses my network, she can receive email, but not send. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

If the person you are visiting has different ISP than you, you will have to connect to that ISP's network in order to send mail with an email client.

You can check with YOUR ISP to find out what settings you need to change OR see if is an FAQ which will guide you through configuring the client for use when traveling OR you can use your ISP web mail.

#3 lilkel35

lilkel35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

Is that the only solution? Just curious, because I've never had to do that before. I've always been able to send email using Outlook when at other people's homes regardless of whether or not we had the same ISP. This is only a more recent problem. Besides, why would an ISP give an outgoing mail server that only works from a specific location (my home)--it shouldn't matter where you are physically located when you send email out as long as you have an internet connection. How the heck do they know whether I'm using a router in my house or a router in someone else's house?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users