Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defrag hassles

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 landpand

landpand

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:18 PM

:thumbsup: I have been trying to defrag. I looked up some posts and got some ideas. Scandisk in dos mode worked fine. Don't know how to defrag in dos mode. I found another link that says to defrag in safe mode by tapping f8 to get there. Well, I tapped till my finger was blue. (haha) I tried to goof up the computer by shutting it down incorrectly like my kids have done, but of course, Murphy's law kicks in and it won't work. Anyone help? Please keep it basic. I'm new at computers and learning from experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:37 PM

When you were trying to use F8, you are doing it as you booted the computer right? Also F5 will take you straight into safe mode instead of F8 which takes you to the boot menu.
Start tapping the F8 during the first screen. As soon as you see message "By Passing Windows start file..." you can stop tapping the key.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users