Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Needs help recovering files from formatted hard drive, Please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vicman

Vicman

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

Hello,
I have a hard drive that was accidentally formatted with the Sony recovery wizard and a complete reinstalled was performed.

Can you please tell me about a good program that I can use free or paid to recover the data of a formatted hard drive?

I used the recuva application and only found deleted files. I need to recover if possible all the docs, pictures, music files before the recovery took place.

Thank you in advance,

Vicman :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

Well unfortunately when a Hard drive is formatted and then something is written over that it is very time consuming and expensive to recover and then you may only get half of your information back.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

You could take a look at the demo version of GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

It will show you what files are capable of being recovered...but it won't recover until the license is purchased.

This is the only data-recovery tool I have any experience with, there seem to be a zillion of them available today. Once a user finds one that provides satisfaction, there is little interest in trying all the others.

Louis

#4 Vicman

Vicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

I will try the GetDataBack some is better than none, especially the pictures.

Thank you all for your prompt reply.

#5 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Im not sure if you are technically up to it, but this is a link to a tutorial to recover formatted partitions using an ubuntu live cd

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/recover-data-lik...tu-live-cd.html

In the tutorial, he shows that he recoverd pictures after formatting the drive, so maybe this could work for you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users