Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASP.NET Machine Account

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 luigiforever96

luigiforever96

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

Upon looking in my McAfee files and info, I found that there were two users on my computer--mine, as admin, and ASP.NET Machine Account as a Standard user (no admin rights). I've never noticed this before, nobody has access to my computer in my household except for me (that I am aware of) and I am wondering if it is a virus, or something else, and if it's all right if I delete it, files and all. I scanned with MBAM (this was while I was at school, so I couldn't do full scans), and it found nothing; although McAfee picked up a couple of items that it described as "Internet Explorer Restrictions" in their logs, but I wasn't connected to the Internet, nor do I use IE in the first place.

Help would be appreciated. I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop.

Thank you, and I hope this can just be taken care of in a simple and easy fashion. :thumbsup:

Edited by luigiforever96, 28 April 2010 - 02:19 PM.

Proud Firefox User

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

The aspnet_wp or ASP.NET Machine Account is created when the Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 is installed onto a Windows XP computer. The user is created to run the asp.net worker process used in Microsoft's Internet Information Services, which allows ASP.net to run on your local web server (This is pretty much its only use, it is not used to run normal .net managed executables). There is not a need to worry about this user's presence; it was not created in malicious way.

ASP.net is a programming framework built on the common language runtime (Microsoft .net framework) which can be used on a server to build powerful Web applications...

What is the ASP.NET Machine Account?
ASP.NET Machine Account
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users