Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is your memory stick hiding recycled files from you?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trumph

trumph

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

I just did a clean up on my 16gb memory stick and wondered why it seemed to come up 4gb short, I checked the usage of all the folders, and it was definitely missing about 4gb.

So I downloaded a neat space sniffer http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_s...r/download.html and it showed several large files as being recycled about 4 months ago, but still hanging about.

Next I checked all 3 of my PC's to make sure they didn't have the stick set up in their recycle bin (right click the desktop icon and select properties) because there was not a recycle bin showing for the stick in explorer on any of them.

SO, it's down to good 'ole DOS then.

Opened a command prompt
Moved to the drive (Type the drive letter with a : after it IE D:)

dir /ah

This showed

Found.000
Found.001
Found.002
Recycled
Recycler

attrib <folder name> -r -s -h

for all folders, sometimes attrib *. -r -s -h works, but it didn't this time

Now they all showed in explorer so deleted the lot, Recycled stayed but 3 hidden folders deleted and the spare space went from 6gb to just over 10gb

The contents of the folders may not show in explorer even with the "show hidden files" option selected, so to do this go back to the command prompt and do this.

cd <folder name> (It will go even if it is hidden and system)
dir /ah

This will show any files or folders that are hidden so you can decide if you want to keep them, to do this type

attrib <file or folder name> -r -s -h

you can use wild cards but it does not always work of folders

These files/folders will now show in explorer, so you can delete or move them

it's worth running that sniffer on your memory stick windows seems to have a problem with some memory sticks and recycle bins, and that's ALL versions of windows

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sheva249

Sheva249

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

Hey thanks for the nice tip. Initially I was thinking about the bad sector problem But you explained a different phenomenon.

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:27 AM

Dont you just go to "tools" and than "Folder Options" and then unclick "hide protected operating system files ( recommended)" and then click yes and ok ?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:36 AM

Hmmm?

Interesting tip, I read this with interest and decided I'd tried that program just for the fun of it on one of my spare computers, because I am just one of those people who loves experimenting with new software.

So being the adventurer that I am I tried what you suggested on an Windows XP SP3 machine I have and was amazed what I found on several memory sticks that were laying about that I thought were clean. :thumbsup: Not as well as I thought though.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful tip! :flowers:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users