Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a PC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

1. ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard *210$*

2. Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor - OEM *1000$* -OR- Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor *300$*

3. (two)ASUS ENGTX480/2DI/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card *500$ each*

4. OCZ Gold 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV12GS *370$*

5. APEVIA X-JUPITER G-Type X-JUPITERG-MG Metallic Gray Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case *180$* -OR- LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case*250$*

6. CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply *100$*

7. Western Digital VelociRaptor WD740HLFS 74GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive *170$*

8. ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler *40$*

9. MASSCOOL SYTRIN Kuformula SHF1 Ultra HDD Cooler BK *30$*

10. SAMSUNG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Combo Drive - Bulk Model SH-B083L/BSBP LightScribe Support - OEM *100$*

Was going to use the 300$ CPU, added the 1000$ for comparison.
The video card i would like ideas, not getting two just the MOBO has the option for it. Need options for similiar specs for cheaper.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

Not a lot of time right now as it is my day to play house daddy and fix JR. dinner.

You will be pushing 1 650 watt PSU even with one GTX480. A single GTX480 can pull 300+ watts, +150 watts for an overclocked CPU+ the rest of the rig and you will top 500 watts fully loaded. A 750 would be right for a single card setup.

Don't consider that CPU cooler for a serious rig. Here: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm . If you are going to throw that amount of cash at a rig, might as well do it right. Look around for cooler reviews, they are numerous.

That hard drive may be 10K RPM, but it is the older generation of Velociraptors and most of the WD blacks beat those in everything but random access times. It is a waste of cash getting a tiny 74 gig drive for that price. Nix the HDD cooler as well.

Will post back later.

Later: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/04/27/...it_buying_guide

Almost as good, for a lot less juice (and cash)- ATI 5870

Edited by dpunisher, 28 April 2010 - 05:46 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

Are you wanting to build something useful or just build something so that this week you can say you have "the latest" stuff? I for one can't think of a sigle reason other than bragging rights to buy one much less two Fermi's. Painfully, I speak from experience. I have ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS invested in "new" technology from nVidia that are now just paper weights. They really aren't paper weights as I have no need for paper weights, they are just laying around somewhere here in my cave fighting the gravity that I HOPE will suck them into the earth. I bought 2 nVidia 9800GX2's (at 600 bucks a pop) the day they came out. nVidia didn't get the quad sli technology right. then. I don't know if they have yet. I DO know that BOTH cards were gfooked right out of the box. They NEVER worked.

Yeah, it's MY fault for not RMA'ing them but sometimes I have more money than sense. I would have had more enjoyment taking that 1200 bucks and throwing it on the street in front of a bunch of bums and watching them fight over it than I got from my over priced, non working GPU's. It also would have been money better spent.

There is NOTHING you are doing with your computer that would even come close to using all the "capabilities" supposedly in 2 fermi's. I wouldn't even buy 1. Get a 5850. That's what I bought after I a trashed my 9800 GX2's. Notice I said 5805 not 5870. There isn't enough performance difference in the two of those to justify the price difference.

Same thing applies to that 1000 buck processor.

But you are going to get them anyways aren't you lol? As long as you have cash to burn, don't just get 12 GB's ram, go for broke and get all 24 GB's that motherboard can handle and fill that puppy up.

oh, and why are you buying all that stuff and not getting a PSU that can power it?

Listen the dpunisher..........

Edited by DeathStalker, 28 April 2010 - 08:04 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

perhaps deathstalker, some people like having the performance, some people need it. My brother just spent close to 3000 dollars on a intel build because he needs it for school, he needs the horse for what hes schooling in. Some people, like me enjoy the performance as a hobby. I have nearly 1600 wrapped up in my desktop with lots of features I never use. why, cuz its a hobby and I enjoy it. No need to be sarcastic or rude because someone wants a nice PC. And he didn't say he was getting 2 fermis but he just had the ability to. read his post.

As for my advice, definetly a higher powered PSU for future expansion. Im thinking 850 watts to be safe, for a high end gaming system. dpunisher is right, if ur going aftermarket cooling, don't go cheap, and invest in a good case that has lots of room and good cooling capabilities. Nothing wrong with the new i7s, i cant see myself spending 1000 bucks on them though, im more of a AMD guy, but those are good CPUs. ASUS is a good brand, but have you considered EVGA as well? they make excellent video card capabilities. If you want something cheaper, AMDs new 6 core phenom is only 300 bucks and in most areas should offer comparable performance, and high end mobos for AM3 are around 200 instead of the 300 for intel boards. And if you do swing the ATI route, AMD and ATI video cards make a really good combination

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:49 AM

What is your purpose for this PC and what games are you going to be playing? There is absolutely no reason to buy a $1000 six-core CPU unless you are running programs that can take advantage of all cores AND you are willing to sink that much cash into something that will cost far less in a few months especially since AMD has a six-core CPU out that is about 1/3 the price. Granted, the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T still gets hosed by the six-core i7, but with multithreaded apps, and for people on a more reasonable budget, the AMD is worthwhile. As for the GPU, two Radeon 5870's are actually not that far removed, performance wise, from the GTX 480 but runs quieter and isn't as hot.

3939.png

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

@ the_patriot09 -

And he didn't say he was getting 2 fermis but he just had the ability to. read his post.

-- Thank you for reading before ramming :thumbsup:

Im not getting the 1000$ CPU, im was going to get the Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor *300$*, the 1000$ one was just to reference the differences and reason for the extra 700$. which i cant justify to myself.

I am an enthusiast, i dont need the power, i just like it. I build Pc's from trash people throw out, seeing just how good i make something from what others deem broken and outdated, but im tired of that and have saved money to change that.

@dpunisher - I did not know the power consumption like you have stated was that high, i will look for another PSU, and i looked at the hard drive cooler and the 10k HD because I was thinking of going the route of a small but fast access time Hd for the bootable disk. I want to add other internal Hd's for storage. I just dont want to have a 1TB HD with boot partition and catch a virus and dam scans taking all month. I will look into the WD blacks. Thank you.

I am going to change the heatsink to this after reading your input:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8807/cpu...3_Hot_Item.html

As for the ram, i decided to go that route because 3 sticks at 4gb is 2X more expensive then 6 sticks at 2GB. Also i read somewhere awhile ago that more sticks at fewer ram allows for faster access times ( anyone know??)

i will have to look into EVGA and the video card combo's before returning a reply to that.

Thank you all for the Input!
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

I never get the phrasing right. I wasn't scoffing you silentsoul. When I built this computer everyone, including the guy who sold me the stuff, told me I was way over building. I did it anyway. You probably will to. I wasn't laughing AT you, I was laughing WITH you.

Like Patriot said, sometimes you just want to do it. I know better and have no use for another computer, but I STILL have to stop myself from going out and buying the stuff to build another one. It's fun. Even though I got this 5850 in November to replace my broke dick 9800 GX2's, the only reason I didn't get a 5900 series is because they didn't have any anywhere. I would have paid the extra money for a 5870 if I could have found one. Luckily God was with me and he made sure that every place was sold out so I didn't waste the money lol. It was an exercise in self control that I didn't get a fermi. I mean when I built my daughter's computer for Christmas i only put a 9400 in IT so I could put this 5850 in hers and if I did that I would need something for this one and since that Fermi is out..............

Sorry if it seemed I was being sarcastic or laughing at you, I wasn't. But you ARE gonna get some of that stuff aren't you? Be honest. If you can afford it you will. I did. It was fun. LOL If my wife would go all Lorena Bobbitt on me I'd do it again.

#8 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

@ DeathStalker:
The things on the list was my original list of pieces that i will purchase, bar the 1000 CPU and the 2nd GPU. I wanted feedback on compatibility and comparison of other products equal in specs but less $. Im not a never ending piggy bank and i am trying to show as much self control as possible before i jump into something that would end up a waiste of money. I Appreciate and Value everyones opinion on this website because everyone is here to help, no service charge and no hourly fee applied. I took no offense to your first post, it just seemed irrelavent, it was about your broken products instead of the list i provided. I will look into the 5850 like u suggested, If i find i prefer it with the Asus or if i find the EVGA to my liking and it goes well there, i may take you up on the advice, i have used ATI before and if EVGA, AMD, and ATI go together as well as the patriot has suggested that very well maybe the route i take.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

well EVGA and ATI dont go together since EVGA only makes NVIDIA cards to my knowledge, but you know. lol.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#10 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

Oh, haha i thought since you had mentioned them all together they went together, my bad. I was looking at mother boards and i think im going to stay with the 209$ ASUS and im going to change the video card to:
ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU TOP/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ATI Eyefinity

this would leave me the option the get a second one of these GPU's for almost as much as one of the original FERMI i was going to get.

As for the 74gb HD i mentioned, would you think the 300gb or 600gb newer Velociraptors are better, over the blacks you mentioned? I just want to has the fastest, smalled bootdrive for maintence reasons and i think allthough outdated, the 74gb still does the job i want. If there is other reasons i do not see, please advise.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 29 April 2010 - 07:15 PM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:04 PM

nevermind

Edited by DeathStalker, 29 April 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

actually, if your going to switch to ATI cards you may want to switch motherboards as well. That is a ATI Crossfire card, that board only supports SLI. A single card will run just fine on it, however if you ever go to add a second you will not be able to because you cannot run crossfire on a SLI motherboard. someone correct me if Im wrong but I believe this board is crossfire enabled, and is still made by ASUS. Even has the same chipset. Another option for a crossfire enabled board that I can personally recomend (used it in a build for my brother is this board made by gigabyte.

picard5.jpg

#13 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard was vey nice, thank you for that information, i didnt think about that.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users