Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless ONLY works with my home.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

My CPU only works with the internet in my house. So if I bring my laptop to my friend's, library or my work place, it can not connect to the internet.

I have tried plugging in a different internet provider thing, 'NETGEAR WG111v3 Smart Wizard' and it has worked.
However, this was not my own thing and I can't keep it.

Is there any way to fix my computer so that it may connect to other wireless networks without buying a whole new thing for it?

I currently use Intel PROSet Wireless.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

BlackWaltz, although I think I could probably help you on this, i'm not going to only because I am a student in the field as opposed to one with experience. I would hate to lead you in the wrong direction. But to get this going, and hopefully resolved, some of the networking professionals on these boards will most likely need some more information.

What operating system do you use?

Do you know what network adapters are installed on your computer?

This can be found by navigating to the device manager. Most likely 2/3 down the page under device manager should be a tab called "network adapters". They will be listed there.

Intel Proset Wireless is an application, not the actual network adapter.
Posted Image

#3 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

Windows XP

Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 (Tungle)

Broadcom and TAP had an 'X' on it. I just enabled it. Now all four are enabled at the moment. Since I am home, I have no real way to check if it is fixed or not by doing that.

#4 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

My CPU only works with the internet in my house. So if I bring my laptop to my friend's, library or my work place, it can not connect to the internet.

I have tried plugging in a different internet provider thing, 'NETGEAR WG111v3 Smart Wizard' and it has worked.
However, this was not my own thing and I can't keep it.

Is there any way to fix my computer so that it may connect to other wireless networks without buying a whole new thing for it?

I currently use Intel PROSet Wireless.

What exactly happens when try to connect to your friends router? when you click on it to connect does it ask for encryption key if it is encrypted please expand.

Edited by Darth sidious, 29 April 2010 - 11:48 AM.

HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#5 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:17 PM

It blatantly ignores it's existence.

When I ask for windows to manage my wireless, it pulls up nothing generally.
If PROSet is doing it, I can -see- the connections, but it won't connect.
'Authentication in process' is a common thing.

It's basically like a guy walking down the street with his girlfriend and seeing a bunch of cute girls wanting to flirt with him.
Then he sneaks something their way and he slips up and says SORRY UNABLE TO ATTEMPT TO CONNECT.

I can't connect to -public- resources like the library, so it's not a password issue I'd think.

No request for any key*

Edited by BlackWaltz, 30 April 2010 - 09:51 AM.

#6 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

1. Ensure the windows wireless service is disabled so you are only using intel proset application go to control panel>administrative tasks>services scroll down to windows wireless zero configuration on xp or wlan autoconfig in vista/7 and ensure it is disabled.

2. Intel proset app will have a profile set up for your connection at home so you will not able to use this profile to connect to any other router other than your own. You will need to set up another profile for your friends and then one for the library, intel proset should have an option to do this consult the help file or documentation. I have never used it but have used others which let you set up different profiles for different router connections.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

Here is the user guide for your Intel Wireless Wifi link 4965AGN.

http://download.intel.com/support/wireless...n_genericug.pdf

#8 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Thanks a lot! I'll try this right away when I can and edit this post with results.

#9 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:47 PM

I actually did all of that before without the extra checking in the service area.
Got nothing so far.

Ah, the connections says it's green, but I can't 'repair' or browse anything still. No pacets or internet activity, yet the status says 'Excellent' and is in green :thumbsup:

#10 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

Is this your connection at home or your friends?

#11 BlackWaltz

BlackWaltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:02 AM

Ah I fixed it myself.
I play Warcraft 3 and had to alter some IP stuff to be able to host.
Too bad there was nothing written about it changing the ability to connect to other networks.

Problem Fixed.

(Though now I can't host on WC3 .. for now)

The IP was binded to a single thing as opposed to 'connect automatically'.

#12 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

Glad it's sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users