Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 1305: error reading from file:...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:54 AM

Dell Dimension 8300, windows xp sp3.

Each attempt to install MS Works 2005, which was on the pc prior to format and install for teenaged reasons, results in the error listed above. (Those same teens were permitted to use the pc again, at my express discontent.)

Error 1305.Error reading form file: D:\MSWorks\Common\MSShared\msvcr71.dll

A search of MS knowledge base was a wasted effort!

A search of the DVD shows the file in a couple of spots, but not in that exact spot. (I had no problem installing this software the first time around, before the format and install.)

I do not want to format and install again. I only have so many installations on my purchased games from BigFish. As for the other purchased software, it would be a pain to have to install it all over.

Is there a way to trick the installer into finding the file? No, there is not a "browse" or "find" option when the error appears.

Thanks.

Cass

Side note: this pc was loaned to someone's parents while his nieces were visiting. Each had an account, but only the parents had an administrator account with a password. When I had to repair this once before, I told the parents that the girls needed restricted accounts so it would not happen again. The parents gave the password to them when they complained that they couldn't download anything. I asked them why they thought I had given the girls restricted accounts in the first place! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:02 AM

It's possible that your CD is corrupted, scratched, etc...and the file can't be read. In that case, you'll probably have to replace the disc if cleaning the surface of it doesn't help.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users