Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removing dublicate files do's and dont's ?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NicR

NicR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

I downloaded a freeware app called "Dublicate Finder" ! I want to learn about dublicate files and take the correct steps to remove only what is safe to do so ! Anyone with advice and or a link to a article on this subject I would greatly appreciate !
Thanks NicR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

My only comment...leave those "duplicate" files alone.

Duplicate files exist for the simple reason that each and every program...attempts to install the key files needed for that program to run effectively. When that program installs a given file in a given location...that's where it expects that file to be. If that file is not in that specific location...well, the user has now created her/his own set of problems by thinking of a computer as something it is not.

If you are talking about data files which have been created/copied multiple times by a user...that's entirely up to the user whether these are deleted or not. There is no impact on the operational capability of the O/S or programs installed.

There are many more important things, IMO, that a user ought to be concerned about...other than how many copies of a given file (which is needed) exists on a system. If you look at the recommended procedures for system maintance...developed by Microsoft and other entities which might be considered reliable experts...you won't find one suggesting a user search for duplicates among system and program files.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users