Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Laptop Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:01 AM

Hi,

I currently have a 60Gig Hard drive in my Toshiba Laptop running Win XP Home with 1 Gig RAm, the laptop is about 3 years old at the moment. I am thinking of upgrading my Hard drive and RAM to a >=250Gig and 2GB RAM.

I upgraded RAM before so I've no problem with that but I'm a little nervous that I'm going to buy an incompatible HDD so any help is appreciated. I took out the old laptop HDD to have a look and its a 2.5" SATA HDD as far as im aware, manufactured by Toshiba. I don't think i'll have any issue copying the data over from the old had drive as i intend to make a clone with a live CD and then just restore to the new one.

I want to know if the is a limit to how big(Storage) a HDD I can install or how fast it can be in relation to rpm and data transfer. Below are 2 which I was looking at.
Seagate
Western Digital

I was also wondering should I stick with a Toshiba manufactured Hard drive for the Toshiba laptop.

Thanks in advance.
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hi MarcusMaximus,

If you mention your laptop model number, then people can give better advice. Different laptops use hard disks of different form factor.

Have a nice day :thumbsup:

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:50 AM

As long as the new drive is physically compatible (same size, IE 2.5") and same interface, SATA, then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't install either of the drives you listed. I removed the 5400 rpm, 250G drive from the laptop I'm typing on right now and replaced it with 7200 rpm, 320G drive. Going from 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm gave a nice little performance boost. I was worried about increased temps due to the faster drive but didn't encounter any.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

FWIW: http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/LaptopHardDriveInfo.htm Just read the info, ignore the solicitations/ads.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 April 2010 - 07:57 AM.

#5 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

Thanks Romeo29, its a Toshiba Equium A100-147. And its definitely a SATA hard drive, see attachment, thanks for the link hamluis.

strolln thanks for the advice, i was wondering about temperature too, i was also wondering about power consumption if the hard drive is going to get enough from my older laptop and if it would be likely to spike causing problems.

Are Seagate and Western digital both quality manufacturers. Any body have any recommendations between the links i provided.

Thanks for the help again.

Attached Files

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

I think your laptop uses SATA 1.0. Although, the hard disks links of which you have shown use SATA 2.0, the data transfer rate will be limited to 1.5 GB/s. Original hard disk of your laptop has 5400 rpm and new hard disk has max 7200 rpm, so may expect some extra heat at times. But these things are not important.

In my opinion the Seagate and WD are both good. I personally would have selected Seagate as it is cheaper of the two :thumbsup: If you are ordering online, does it include the shipping cost?

You can also have a look at different 2.5 inch hard disks (with shipping cost included) at pricewatch.com

#7 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:14 AM

I think your laptop uses SATA 1.0. Although, the hard disks links of which you have shown use SATA 2.0, the data transfer rate will be limited to 1.5 GB/s. Original hard disk of your laptop has 5400 rpm and new hard disk has max 7200 rpm, so may expect some extra heat at times. But these things are not important.

In my opinion the Seagate and WD are both good. I personally would have selected Seagate as it is cheaper of the two :flowers: If you are ordering online, does it include the shipping cost?

You can also have a look at different 2.5 inch hard disks (with shipping cost included) at pricewatch.com

Not sure on the shipping but it shouldn't cost too much. Thanks for the advice everybody. :thumbsup:

#8 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

Is there a mark thread as solved option.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

Is there a mark thread as solved option.

No, there is not. Simply making a final post thanking the people who helped you is enough. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#10 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Everybody