Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'd like an alternative to XPs file copy and paste function

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sentry1

sentry1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:55 AM

Hi,

I run Windows XP Home on an Intel Duo Core 3GHZ

I want to shuffle my directory structure about across 3 disks - two internal and one external.

This means using copy and paste in Explorer. However, if this process ever hits an issue (e.g. filename too long etc etc) then I have to restart the process again as I can't be sure what has already copied across and what hasn't. There has to be a better, more robust way to carry out this procedure (and if it was quicker too that would be a benefit!).

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Sentry1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sentry1

sentry1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:12 AM

Ok. I think that last post was a little vague. Here's a clearer explanation.

Problem: If I use XP to copy a few directories and paste them somewhere else (e.g. another disk), then sometimes I get an error message that one of the files couldn't be copied. Annoyingly, if this happens the paste process is aborted rather than continued.

Question: Is there a 3rd party app, or a method in XP, to ensure that the process continues to completion, with a log file of the issues that occured along the way that I can manually clean up?

Thanks,

Sentry1

#3 sentry1

sentry1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:11 AM

There must be someone out there who knows of a useful utility...... no?

:thumbsup:

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:31 AM

I think you are looking for synchronizing software...

Allway Sync is the one I use. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 sentry1

sentry1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

Hi Keyboard Ninja!

I'm not really looking for sync. I just want an everyday tool that is better at copying and pasting.

As an example. If you give me 300 letters and ask me to post them and then I come back having randomly posted half of them saying "sorry mate, I couldn't post this one cos the address doesn't exist....oh and by the way I don't know which I've posted and which I haven't and even if I did know, I'm not going to tell you" I would think you'd be pretty pissed off.

All you want is a postman who keeps track of what he's posted and if he comes across a dodgy address then continues posting all the others until he's finished. At the end of his round he can then come back to you and say "all posted! apart from this one...what do you want to do with it?"

Anything out there like that for XP?

I know a sync progra could do this but I just want an everyday lightweight tool, not a synchronisation solution as I will never sync the same directories again.

Cheers,

Pete

#6 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

Hi sentry1,

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=utility+t...lient=firefox-a

Unfortunately i don't know any of the programs, so be careful and maybe upload them to virustotal before you try to install any........ http://www.virustotal.com/ ,

Or see if they are on CNET....... http://download.cnet.com/windows/

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

Try TeraCopy: http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 sentry1

sentry1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

Now that seems to fit the bill exactly. Thanks I'll give it a go and get back to you!

Gotta love these fora!

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users