Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary HDD as Primary Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SCSI Needs Your Help

SCSI Needs Your Help

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:05 AM

I have had problems with a power surge on my PC and am unable to retrieve information I urgently need.

I have an old PC with an IDE hard drive. My failed computer is a SATA hard drive.

I want to temporarily use the SATA hard drive from my fried machine on the older computer that has an IDE drive. Can I use the SATA drive as a primary hard drive so I can boot up then retrieve and edit a document?

Assume I have no components or additional hardward. What will I need to buy and how would I go about this task. I did buy a Bi-directional IDE to SATA Adapter, but it did not seem to be the right connector for what I wanted to do, so I'm wary of throwing more money at it without some Bleeping Computer advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:23 AM

Ive had little success with the IDE to sata converters, I would say your best bet is with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-102-_-Product assuming the drive itself is not fried beyond repair. I would, once I got something like this, boot up off the IDE drive, use this as a slave and transfer everything off of it as well as running a hard drive diagnostic on it to make sure that it isnt damaged. Once you find out if its not damaged then you can use it again. If its damaged and windows can not read it, the next step would be to try a Ubuntu live cd or something similar, try booting the computer up with that and seeing if it will read the data or not. If not, the hard drive and everything on it may just be toast.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users