Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB port causing PC to Freeze

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cjrolls

cjrolls

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

Hi there,

Please help as this is driving me crazy. Every time I plug in something in to my USB port my PC freeze'. I run win XP with SP3, have 4GB ram. heaps of hard disc space. I plug in a USB memory stick or SD card and mouse works but slowly nothing else works. Only option is a reboot. Tried in safe mode and all works fine. Also tried system restore to earlier time but this also did not help. My printer and mouse are plugged into rear USB ports and they work OK, only front two ports seem to be causing the problem. Thanks in advance. Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

Have the front ports ever worked properly?

Have you tried going to Device Manager...uninstalling the USB controllers (just the controllers listed)...and rebooting?

General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Louis

#3 cjrolls

cjrolls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:15 AM

Hi Louis and thanks for your reply. Yes the ports have always worked but not sure exactly when they stopped working. Tried uninstalling all usb controllers and rebooting but still no good. Surely it must be a driver or software if all is OK in safe mode. Chris

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

Can you post your system specs like what kind of motherboard you have?

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and tell us what it says on the mainboard tab.

#5 cjrolls

cjrolls
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:56 AM

Hi and thanks for your interest. Have posted full specs from cpuid. Also tried a powered portable harddrive and it worked OK so perhaps something to do with voltage draw on the mainboard. Thanks again

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users