Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nod32 updates only a few KBs daily?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:44 AM

I've disabled automatic updates, I manually update the AV once every day. Earlier when I was using Bitdefender, it would download about 4 to 5 MBs every day.

When I try to update Nod32 AV, its says "Update is not necessary - the virus signature database is current". I still go ahead and update, and it downloads only a few KBs, generally around 80 KBs, and even this takes almost a minute. Is it really downloading updates at all? I've been told that it is only downloading the version file, so when will it download the actual updates, and is there any way to force it to download every day?

Edit: The Nod32 icon is always red. When I update the AV, it becomes green, but if I reboot the computer, it again goes back to being red.

Edited by HydraHeaded, 28 April 2010 - 01:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:33 AM

Eset releases updates almost every day and they vary in size. I do manual updates myself and when doing so, sometimes I too get "Update is not necessary".

A quick and easy place to check for listed updates is at Calendar of Updates. This is today's listing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:20 AM

Hello quietman7. When you update manually, how much is downloaded - is it always less than 100 KBs? Because I feel the damn thing is not updating at all, and the red system icon doesn't help.

Is it that every AV works differently, and Bitdefender has large files of updates, while Nod32 carries the same virus signatures in really small sizes? How much do others AVs like Kaspersky and all download in a single day?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

The update always vary in size...sometimes a few hundred kb, sometimes a few thousand. The update screen always shows the exact amount. If you don't update every day, the downloads are larger.

The size of updates will vary with the various anti-virus vendors. It depends on what each of them are including in their respective databases and how often they decide to release updates.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 HydraHeaded

HydraHeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

The update always vary in size...sometimes a few hundred kb, sometimes a few thousand. The update screen always shows the exact amount. If you don't update every day, the downloads are larger.

Then it means something is wrong with my AV, because I always update daily, and it is always less than 80 KBs.

Edited by HydraHeaded, 28 April 2010 - 10:35 AM.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

Then perhaps you should try waiting 2-3 days and see if the update size is bigger...

Daily update = small update

Weekly update = LARGE update
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users