Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with my router.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:56 PM

I'm having problems with my router, it keeps crashing on me every 5 min, and any-kind of file-sharing isn't working at all. It is a D-Link DI-704P Rev. C with 3.09 firmware.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:57 PM

Could you describe the crash? Is it not responding or rebooting...
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:41 AM

The internet stops and if I try to access the router I can't get past the login screen even though I enter the correct user name and password. It just throws me back to the login screen. The only way to get it working again is to unplug and replug the power.

It stopped crashing a while after I turned of all p2p applications and the connections stopped coming through.

The router has been working fine for 2 years.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 27 September 2005 - 02:42 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:32 AM

Have you checked the D Link sight for a firmware update?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:23 AM

Have you mapped the ports for the p2p aplications through the router?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:12 AM

Have you mapped the ports for the p2p aplications through the router?

If you by mapped mean forwarded, then yes.

Have you checked the D Link sight for a firmware update?

Yes, the firmware is the latest.

#7 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:07 PM

do a hard reset of your router.
1.unplug the router's power.
2. hold in the reset button (on back) of the router while plugging it back in again
3. keep reset button in for 30 seconds or so, just to make sure.
4. reset the router once more.
5. put all your net settings in (no port forward yet)
6. surf the net for a couple of hours, or use ghost surfer or play an online game or sumthin'.
7. if all is good so far, go into the router again and forward the ports you need done.
8. see if that werkz!

9 if it stops working after step 6, goto step 10.

10.consider the possibility your router is bad, and either have it tested at a shop or purchase a new one.

I hope you dont have to, and this works, a hard reset has helped me lots of times after different clients played with settings and firmware. hope it helps you too!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:23 AM

Thanks snapper, the router is up and running again. Wish I knew what caused it and if it's going to happen again.

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 10:26 AM

sweet good job
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users