Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Electrical Burning Smell

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sei

Sei

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:49 PM

So I started having an electrical burning smell coming from my tower. It took a while to build up to a noticeable point, but it seemed to primarily be coming from the top of the tower where a small fan blows air out.

In case this information helps,

This is the case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16811166004
The two side fans are intake and the top blows out.

And here are stats from speedfan: http://i.imgur.com/6qJTQ.jpg
I'm not sure which each fan stands for, but I'm guessing the 2 slower fans are the PSU and general output in the back, and the higher speed is the CPU. First time I've used this so I haven't gotten to figuring out what it all means yet. Voltages seem ok, but do let me know if something doesn't seem right.

CoreTemp and GPU-Z show normal temps around 30's to 40's.

It's the most noticeable first from the top, and at the beginning I smell absolutely nothing from the PSU and general fan in the back. After a certain point though I either begin to smell it from the back or it's because the smell has infiltrated the air enough that it leaks over, I'm not sure. I've taken the top fan out and cleaned out the dust, put it back and the same thing happened. It builds up slowly until it's noticeable from where I'm sitting after about 10-15min.

So tomorrow I'm going to air-dust out the entire setup and take another whiff. If it's still there, I'll unplug that one fan to see if the smell persists. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me to do before I fire it up?

Edited by Sei, 27 April 2010 - 11:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:01 AM

I would do exactly what you are doing remove the fan in question and see what happens. Also check over your components for burn marks.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Sei

Sei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

So I cleaned it out, looked for any obviously burnt pieces, took a whiff and found nothing. Then I unplugged the top fan and booted up. After a few minutes the smell was noticeable, so I'm fairly sure it's not the top fan.

The smell is coming from the PSU exhaust. I smelled around the inside of the computer while it was running, as well as the bottom-back exhaust and caught nothing, so it's definitely coming from the PSU exhaust. Now I'm not sure how the airflow is exactly, but I'm fairly sure I can assume it's not something else within the case as I can't smell anything from the other back exhaust. Albiet, the PSU fan draws air upwards, so if a scent were to flow straight up into the PSU it would obviously come from the PSU exhaust.

So I guess my question is, how sure can I be that it's the PSU that's at fault and it's not just sucking up the fumes from something else in the computer and spitting it out the PSU exhaust.

Edited by Sei, 28 April 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#4 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

If your power supply is under warranty do not decide to take it apart because that will void the warranty. If it's not, I would proceed to take the
casing apart and make sure no wires are touching the giant pieces of metal (the heat sinks in the power supply) because they get very hot
and could potentially melt the plastic coating on the wires.

If this proves to not be the case, then I would look for any other abnormalities inside the power supply. Let us know what you find.

-Sully

#5 Sei

Sei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:31 PM

It's still under warranty, I've actually only had the thing for under 4 months. Thinking I should just send it back to Newegg/OCZ for a replacement?

Edited by Sei, 28 April 2010 - 11:47 PM.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

I think if the exhaust is the only place you smell it and you dont smell it anywhere else, nor see any signs of damage, then chances are high its your PSU, I would RMA it before you have a fire on your hands-the PSU is just about the only thing in a PC that is truly flamable.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 powder_sullivan

powder_sullivan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

I think if the exhaust is the only place you smell it and you dont smell it anywhere else, nor see any signs of damage, then chances are high its your PSU, I would RMA it before you have a fire on your hands-the PSU is just about the only thing in a PC that is truly flamable.

I had a client actually come in the other day and tell me that his power supply (Thermaltake 430W) was actually shooting
out sparks! That's some scary stuff right there.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

been there done that. was doing some courtesy work for a local christian school, was taking older non working PCs and mixing and matching to get working PCs out of them, threw a PSU in one of them, hit the power button, next thing I hear is ZAP POOF. couple sparks and a ball of smoke flew out the back. that power supply was TOAST. lol. I was like oh crap, and we were out of decent power supplies to, I ended up donating one of mine to the cause. Oh well, it was a worthy cause. :D

picard5.jpg

#9 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:50 AM

Careful, you really do not want to open that power supply, especially if it is malfunctioning. Just go ahead and RMA it.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users