Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Data from 2.5" HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:06 PM

It turns out that a friend of mine got the BSOD. She got the "unmountable_boot_volume" BSOD. I tried and tried to find a way to boot her computer and have come to the conclusion that it will not happen. (Yes, I've done what google tells me to do. Ran recovery console, and tried getting into safe mode etc, etc, etc)

So, I've now gone the direction of installing her bad HDD into my tower. I purchased a 40-44 pin adapter (2.5" HDD to IDE adapter) and successfully found where all the correct pins are on the adapter. Here is where my problem begins.

It seems that whenever I have the 2.5" HDD plugged into my IDE cable, the computer freezes at the end of the BIOS load. I can't even enter the BIOS setup, or Boot screen. I just see the BIOS load bar get to the end, and that is it. Everything stops there.

Normally, I have 2 HDD running. I have one SATA drive that has my OS on it, and a PATA drive that has my music on it.

I have tried completely disconnecting the PATA drive with the 2.5" HDD connected to both the slave connector and the master connector. I've also tried leaving the PATA drive connected and simply adding the 2.5" drive to the slave connector. Still no dice. Maybe it has something to do with an OS being on the 2.5" HDD also?

I'm curious if anyone has any other ideas on how to get this drive recognized by windows so that one may quickly get some data off of it. (Or even how to simply GET INTO windows with the drive connected) Also, I've seen mixed reviews on whether I need to jumper the 2.5" drive to make it a slave drive. I have not tried jumping it yet.

Or am I simply S.O.L? The drive has seen it's last day. . .

Thank you very much for any advice you may have!
Trevor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

sounds like you may have a bad hard drive. the best thing I can suggest you do is put it back in the laptop, and download a ubuntu live CD or another linux live CD. sometimes linux will work when all else fails.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:36 AM

Firstly, what a novel idea! Never thought about Ubuntu. I burnt a disc quite a while ago, but have never gotten around to installing it myself, so this is a great excuse to finally play around with it! Thanks!

Secondly, I've been following the directions here, and I am running into a hitch. I'm assuming there is nothing that can be done, as the drive is probably kaput, however here are the errors I am getting when trying to access my drive.

After I've done the whole "force mount" thing in the terminal, I go to open the drive, and it immediately pops up with an error that says: "Cannot Mount volume. Unable to mount the volume. Details: failed to write lock '/dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable Error opening '/dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable Failed to mount 'dev/sda1': Resource temporarily unavailable"

While that error is up, it then pops up a window saying it is trying to mount the volume. But after about a minute a second error pops up that reads: "Unable to mount location DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply.Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

So, I have a feeling this is bad news. But, can anyone tell me for sure? Is there something else I can do to access this drive?

Thanks again!

#4 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:15 AM

Well, sadly, My last post didn't actually post. So now I'm retyping it. Happily however, I decided to try to open the drive one last time before giving up for the night, and it magically worked. (of course, only AFTER I typed all the errors in the post above. Murphy's law I suppose)

Anyway, I have successfully backed up the drive now, and it's all thanks to Ubuntu. Chalk up another reason for me to make the switch to ubuntu!

Thank you very much for the suggestion! I would've never thought of that on my own.

Trev

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:37 AM

not a problem. personally, as a primary OS for a computer im not a huge ubuntu fan-but its great for on the go diagnoses and repair, i have a ubuntu live CD i keep in my on the go pack at all times for that reason, its small, lightweight and reads bad hard drives no problem. Glad you got what you needed off of it :D :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

Well, sadly, My last post didn't actually post. So now I'm retyping it. Happily however, I decided to try to open the drive one last time before giving up for the night, and it magically worked. (of course, only AFTER I typed all the errors in the post above. Murphy's law I suppose)

Anyway, I have successfully backed up the drive now, and it's all thanks to Ubuntu. Chalk up another reason for me to make the switch to ubuntu!

Thank you very much for the suggestion! I would've never thought of that on my own.

Trev

Hi i know you've backed up the drive now but you could do a chkdisk /r from a command prompt on the drive that had the bsod as it sometimes cures this type of error.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users