Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update disabled my Wireless Assistant

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ItsADeepBurn

ItsADeepBurn

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

So I installed Windows Update KB980248 this evening, not even giving it a second thought. Once I restarted my computer, though, my wireless assistant became completely disabled. The prevailing error message under device manager reads, "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"

I tried a system restore going back two days ago, before I installed this update, but I got an error message that said the system restore process didn't work. The only way I'm online right now is plugging an old ethernet cord into my laptop and my wireless router. Needless to say, I'm ticked off, since I don't want to keep my laptop plugged in for the rest of my life! Any ideas of how I can fix this issue and resist the urge to chuck my laptop out the window? Much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

If you go into Add/Remove programs at the top is a check box for Show Updates, you can try uninstalling it.

That is weird it would do that =\

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 ItsADeepBurn

ItsADeepBurn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

Wow, amazing how the most effective solution is often the simplest. I uninstalled the update and everything is like new again. Thanks for the tip! Maybe something in my hardware didn't mesh well with this update.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:06 PM

Glad it was that easy. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users