Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Bridging Windows and Linux

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hpfreak26

hpfreak26

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

Okay, I'm having some trouble with my internet connection. I just got a new (well, used) computer that I installed Fedora 12 onto. The problem now is to get a working internet connection onto it.

Background Info:
This is a picture of my current setup. Posted Image
The new computer is connected via ethernet directly to the main computer.
I have tried "Internet Connection Sharing", but couldn't quite figure out how to make it work.
As of now I have my wireless network and ethernet network "bridged", and can access my router through the linux computer, but no internet. GAH!
Things may be more complex because my main computer (with Windows 7) has a static IP address. (192.168.1.136)
My router's IP is 192.168.1.1
I have the (new) Linux box connected straight to my main computer (again, via ethernet) and am using its static IP as the "Gateway".

Ideally, I would like to network my two computers, but in such a way that other computers connected to my modem would not be included.

As you can tell, I may have a vague understanding of how to work this network stuff, but not a working knowledge at all. Any help as to how to connect my new computer to my old one, as well as giving everyone an internet connection, would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:05 PM

Get a wireless card for your new box, make sure it'll work with your flavor of Linux(most will do this NP). Once it gets connected to the net, there are 100's of sites to tell you how to get them talking to one another.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:39 AM

If you have bridged the connections between the wireless and wired ports of your Windows7 machine you need to set the Gateway on your Linux box to the address of your router, 192.168.1.1, not the Win7 box. You are using the Win7 box as a big, slow, expensive Ethernet switch with two ports. It doesn't know how to route in this mode, so when your Linux box sends it a packet destined for an address out on the Internet it kinda goes "huh ?" and drops it on the floor. Getting the right gateway should solve that problem.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by "Ideally, I would like to network my two computers, but in such a way that other computers connected to my modem would not be included." Can you clarify ?

#4 hpfreak26

hpfreak26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

Thank you for the replies, and sorry for the confusion.
There are two other computers connected to my modem, my parent's computers. I would rather have a network between my two computers that did not involve the other two. I don't know if that is possible, but it seemed right to ask.

Switching the gateway to the router's IP didn't help. I can still access the router on the linux box, but no internet.
I guess it would be easier with additional info:
I have the netmask the same for both connections. (255.255.255.0)
My main computer is set to a static IP of 192.168.1.136
I have (for now) the linux box set to a NEW static IP (192.168.1.137)
And I set the main DNS server the same in the linux box.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated!

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

Ok, I'm going to go with CaveDweller's recommendation here that you get a wireless card for the Linux box and get the Win7 passthrough out of the picture. It's just going to get more confusing as things go on. Secondly, separating the network to isolate your parents computers can be done several ways, but vary depending on what you want to accomplish. What level of isolation do you want to achieve ? Just Windows File and Printer Sharing ? You can do that by setting each pair to different Windows Workgroups. Fully firewalled IP separation ? There you need two routers connected to the ISP modem through an Ethernet switch, one for you and one for your parents - and hope your ISP will support two client addresses on your connection. Or you need a router that can do port isolated VLANs with multiple inside subnets - DDWRT can do this, but not many off-the-shelf home routers. There is also a way of getting a fast "pipe" via Ethernet between your two computers that doesn't use the wireless, but you won't get to the Internet through it, it would only be used for transfers between the computers.

It is possible to do what you are trying to do as far as passing through your Win7 box, but it's going to take a bit of detailed troubleshooting to set it up and figure out what is going wrong. I'm not well versed on Win7 and don't have a copy I can look at to talk you through it, so we may have to find another tech to step in (CaveDweller, are you 7 savvy ?).

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Not as much as I'd like to be. I have a virt box with 7 installed but right now I am at a friend's place that has been taken over by Apple. I am on a MAC right now and I feel really weird. WHERE IS THE START BUTTON?? OMG oh wait every thing is right there.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 hpfreak26

hpfreak26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:34 PM

I probably will get another wireless card in the future, but I may not be able to do that for some time. Plus, its really bothering me that I can access the router but not the internet. It would really help if I could figure out the problem, if only for my ego :thumbsup:

So lets throw the networking off the table for now. All I want is an internet connection on the new box. Do I need to provide the detailed information as to how my connections are set up? Changing the gateway didn't work; I can still access the router, but again, no internet.

Oh, and Windows 7 is pretty much identical to XP when it comes to networking (and I assume Vista, but I've never messed with Vista connections).

Thank you in advanced for any possible advice!

#8 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

OK, let's check and see if your DNS is working. From your Linux system try to ping 128.121.21.48 (disclaimer - this is my website and just a handy address out on the Internet, nothing magic) and see what happens. If it succeeds, we have a DNS problem. If not, the problem lies elsewhere. If it did not work try traceroute to the same address and lets see where things go sideways. The first hop should be your router (192.168.1.1) and the second should be your ISP edge router. If you don't get to the first or second hop then the problem is local.

If the ping did work, set the DNS address on your Linux machine to 192.168.1.1, the address of your gateway. Most home gateways act as a DNS caching resolver. You can also check the current DNS on your Win7 machine with Start->Run-> ipconfig /all and make the Linux system look like the Win7 with the exception of it's local IP address. I need to check on what utilities are built-in on Fedora 12, but there should be a DNS lookup you can use to test. (www.orecomm.com should resolve to 128.121.21.48)

Let us know what happens.

#9 hpfreak26

hpfreak26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

Well, I feel a bit silly now. I started everything up again to being the troubleshooting, and noticed that I couldn't access my router through my linux box anymore. So I unplugged it for a second and plugged it back in. Now everything works. I have router and internet access on both computers.

Thank you both very much for the assistance.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users