Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

limited or no connectivity

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 schugeorge

schugeorge

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

I am trying to access the internet and keep getting message "limited or no connectivity" when I put cursor over the monitor icon in system tray.. I right click and click repair, system goes through its steps hhowever when it gets to the ""renewing your IP address" step I get a pop up window sayiing "windows could not finishe repairing the problem because the folling actions cannot be completed: "renewing IP address".... and the monitor icon has a red x over it. when I try to get on line it says "server not found" firefox cannot find server at www.yahoo.com..I've tried different browsers with different home pages etc and get similar messages..I've tried repairing in safe mode. I've unintalled and re installed modem and network adapter, updating drivers........arrrgghhhh!!!! please help!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:47 AM

The problem you are seeing is not with your computer, but with the connection between it and your router or ISP. You are not getting a DHCP address assigned. If it worked before try unplugging the power from your router and/or modem (all the boxes between your computer and your ISP) and plugging them back in after 20 seconds or so. These devices often get "confused", especially after power glitches, and need a little break to restore their sanity. If that doesn't fix it get back to us and we will go into a bit more detailed troubleshooting.

#3 schugeorge

schugeorge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

I tried unplugging the router and modem for 30 seconds or so that didn't work. I then did factory reset using the tiny recessed button on the modem. no luck.

#4 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:18 AM

Are you connecting using Ethernet or Wireless ? What operating system are you using, and what brand and model of router and/or modem ? It looks like we will have to walk through the whole setup and knowing this info will make it faster. You can also go to the start screen, -> run, enter "cmd" (no quotes), and enter "ipconfig /all" (no quotes) and copy and paste the result here.

#5 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

I think there is hopefully a simple fix to your problem (crosses fingers). You need to release and renew your IP address. Open your start menu and click on run. You will need to go to the command prompt which is done by typing "cmd" in the run box (without the quotes". Hit enter and it will pop up a smaller black window. Type this in as is without the quotes "ipconfig /release" and press enter. It should take you to the next command line where you need to type in again minus the quotes "ipconfig /renew".

I think this should fix your problem.
Posted Image

#6 cj82

cj82

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

I hope it's ok if I jump in here. I'm having almost the exact same problem. My situation is that I can plug the modem directly into computer B and it'll work, but if i plug it into computer A (which is my main computer) or into the router I was using, I get the "limited or no connectivity". The router is a Belkin Wireless-G, but my i keep my two desktops wired in. The router keeps flashing the modem light meaning it is trying to communicate with the router but it isn't connecting with the internet but the modem is all green to go. I power cycled the modem and router and factor reset the router. No luck with any of it. Like I said though, I can get the modem to work for computer B but not the other computer A or the router. I tried the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew but they won't work.

Anyways, so I ran the ipconfig/all as well and here is what I got. (Ignore the wireless part, because I don't use that. I can get it to leech of a neighbor's but it is slow and unstable, just borrowing it to try and look for solutions to my problem.)

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxx
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ether
net #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F3-51-15-9B
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::218:f3ff:fe51:159b%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 5
4Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-AF-08-A4-43
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%4
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%4
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%4
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, 28 April, 2010 3:40:40 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, 29 April, 2010 3:40:40 PM

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0A-00-00-06
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:10.0.0.6%2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%4
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%4
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%4

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A9-FE-DB-F3
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.219.243%2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Thanks for any help

Edited by cj82, 28 April 2010 - 04:18 PM.

#7 cj82

cj82

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

Also, thought you might care to know that I tried 'ping www.google.com' and got a host not found response. The response I get for the ipconfig/renew is unable to contact DHCP server/request timed out.

#8 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

What happened when you found that you could not connect on 2nd computer? Have you accessed or changed any router settings (physically typing in the router's address in the URL). Was there a power outage? The key to any troubleshooting is getting as much information as possible.
Posted Image

#9 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

What type of ISP do you have? DSL, Cable? Who is your provider?

The ping test will not work because you have no means of pinging anything on the web. You do not have a default gateway (no connection to WAN). When you plugged in the modem directly to the PC that is not connecting, was your computer off, then you powered it up?
Posted Image

#10 cj82

cj82

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

I have Comcast cable internet. What happened was a storm and the power did flicker several times. I think they devices may have lost power. I noticed later that night after the storms the internet was down and then I set about trying to fix it as described.
The way it is now, either computer A or B can access the router's site and I can alter settings on it. I did a factory reset after several other fix attempts/power cycles and resetup the router. The router, however, never connects. The modem light just keeps flashing that it is attempting to connect to the internet. The router website shows the internet status as not connected. Computer A will connect to a neighbors wireless internet. When computer A is wired to the router I can access the router site and the network connection icon in the tray is normal, but still no internets. When computer A is wired directly to the modem, i get the yellow exclamation mark on network icon and it says limited or no connectivity, and i can't access any internet, including the modem website. When computer B is wired into the router it does exactly like computer A, router site accessible but nothing else is and network icon normal. When computer B is wired directly to the modem, full internets, no problems, network icon normal.

Also a small note, I have tried 2 other cables to computer A just to make sure it wasn't that.

EDIT: For every changing of the cables around and all that I power cycled the modem/router each time and restarted the computers. Same results every time... :thumbsup:

Edited by cj82, 28 April 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#11 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hmmm.... okay so we know it's not the cable, and i'm pretty sure its not the router, and we know it's not the modem because B can connect fine through it. Is there multiple output ports from the modem? If so, when you plugged both computers directly into the modem, did you use the same port? This will completely eliminate the modem as a problem. I'm thinking Computer A is most likely the culprit.

Lets check some settings on the computer.

Click on your start button, control panel, and then device manager. Scroll down to network adapters, and right click on your NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mb ethernet adapter. Go to IPv4 and click on the properties button. Is it configured to obtain an IP address automatically? If not check that and reboot computer.

If this does not solve the problem, I would contact your ISP. It is possible that they need to reset something on their end.

Other than that, i'm at a lost for ideas. Maybe someone else can help, but like I mentioned previously in this thread, I am a student and lack experience. Doing the best I can with what i've been taught so far.

When you resolve the problem, please let us know what the cause was, definitely curious.

Good Luck!!
Posted Image

#12 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 261 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

OK, let's try this. Connect B to the modem. Do a Start -> run -> ipconfig /all and note the IP address, mask, gateway, and DNS that you get. Is the address a 192.168.1.x address ? If so your modem has kicked into router mode and is doing address translation and DHCP, but is probably limited to one device. It will need to be reconfigured to bridge mode to work correctly for you with your own router. You can call Comcast support and they should either be able to reconfigure it remotely or talk you through it.

If not, and not a 169.254.x.x address either, you are getting a public address from your ISP. Write down the IP address, mask, gateway, and DNS addresses. Now disconnect B from the modem and power off the modem - pull the power plug. It needs to be stone cold dead. 30 seconds minimum. Plug in your router, making sure you are connected to the WAN port on the router. NOW reapply power to the modem. Wait for it, it may take two minutes or more before you get a DNCP address from the cable. Log into your router and check the WAN address, if any. If not, call Comcast support again and explain what you are seeing. They will tell you it's your problem. You can tell them loudly and with authority that it is their problem and they need to fix it. If you are real persuasive maybe they will. If not, set the config on the router to use a static address on the WAN (Internet) side and use the address, mask, gateway, and DNS you got from the B computer connection. You may or may not get a duplicate IP address error. This is going to cause pain to Comcast and they may eventually call you to gripe. Your choice on how to respond at that point.

Just curious, are A and B using the same OS ? Is the router a Netgear ? Just curiosity. The local cable company DHCP is so poorly implemented it works only with Windows (and not even all Win7) and a few brands of router (Not Netgear and many low-cost brands). Linux, Mac, and others simply don't work because the implementation ignores the standards.

Let us know what happens.

#13 cj82

cj82

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:00 PM

@bwest no problem I'll take any and all help that enables me to resolve the issue.

As for the questions: there is only one port on the modem. There are two ports on computer A and I have tried both to no avail. I don't see the automatic IP setting on the network controller properties. But it is there on the properties for the local area connection and it is checked along with the automatic DNS server detection.

@Orecomm I pulled the ipconfig/all from computer B and will post it below. And I have done the unplugging it and the router, that's what I was told is power cycling it. I leave both completely unplugged for 30 secs - 1 min. Plug in the modem and wait until all 4 of the green lights are completely on meaning a solid connection to the net and then I plug in the router and let it have at. But the router has consistently been sticking on that modem light and the internet light won't go. So it can't communicate properly with the modem either. It is definitely plugged into the WAN port (it's the only bright yellow port on it :thumbsup: ). I have called Comcast and they weren't very helpful (a shock right?). They say they can communicate fine with the modem and it has a good, clear signal. Plus, since one computer can get on and the other can't that it must be something on my end. They believe it must be the router and offered to send me a Netgear router to use. I said I may take them up on it later if I can't resolve this myself. As for your other questions, both machines are running XP, the router is a Belkin wireless G model and it was a cheap one.

I will try checking the WAN address on the router after I post this and get back to you on that. Now here is the ipconfig/all for computer B which does work. As you'll see, the IP address doesn't match either of what you say but it does work!

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : media_pc
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.tn.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.tn.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-85-99-E1-89
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 71.228.xxx.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 71.228.xxx.x
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.xx.xx
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.xx.xxx
68.87.xx.xxx
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:33:42 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, May 01, 2010 1:06:21 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Edited by cj82, 28 April 2010 - 10:00 PM.

#14 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:59 PM

I think OreComm is on to something. What is the model and manufacturer of your modem. We can look it up and see if it has routing capabilities. If so, I think we can configure your router (not potentially modem w/ routing capabilities) to act as a switch (no routing capabilities). The more I think about this too, I think Comcast is right. As far as they are concerned, the modem is receiving a signal, and their job is done (kind of rude, but technically a 3rd party router is not of their concern). Belkin would be the manufacturer to contact. Explain the situation to them, and ask what needs to be done. Just make sure you have all the information available for them.
Posted Image

#15 cj82

cj82

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

ok, I power cycled through again and went to my normal setup of modem to router to each computer. Then I checked out the router some more. I looked at the MAC address for it and for the modem and I noticed they were different. The router had the MAC for computer A and the modem showed the MAC for computer B and said only 1 max. Now it may be that the MAC for B was in the modem simply because it was the last one plugged directly into the router, but I copied (as in typed it but I didn't use the clone MAC button if it matters since I was on A still) it into the MAC for the router and tried it. No luck.

I then tried setting the router as Static and typed in all the addresses mentioned. This yielded a mixed result. The router connected to the modem and show on the router homepage as internet connected. However, this only lasted about 5-10 seconds and was gone before I got a normal website to ever pull up. I'm thinking that this is possibly due to the duplicate IP issue that was mentioned, although no warning box or anything popped up specifically saying that. I also tried messing with the DNS server addresses in the router. I tried leaving those automatic while the Static IP was on and I also tried typing in the 2 addresses from the computer B ipconfig while the Static IP was on. Both did the same 5-10 sec connect and then drop.

Maybe the router has been doing this 5-10 sec connect after every time it restarted, but I didn't notice because it was so fast and I wasn't paying attention for that.

So this has me thinking that maybe it is the router. Maybe the modem got set so that only one computer MAC address could attach to it and it just so happens to that it is computer B (possibly it was the one I first setup Comcast internet on, I don't remember if it was or not) which is why it will connect directly when attached to the modem and computer A won't, and maybe the router is just trashed so it won't connect to anything at all. Perhaps the WAN port itself is what is trashed which would explain why the both computers can see the router when attached to the router. Which means I may just need a new router :thumbsup:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users