Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No NIC card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigmel

bigmel

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

well thanks to you guys I managed to install a new HD, windows XP, but now I tried to connect to the net via Verizon DSL, and can't. I ran the Verizon disc in the cd rom and it claims no NIC card??? This Dell ran on this for the past 4 years. do you think I disconnected a plug? I do have 3 plugs floating in there, P7 P3 & P4 but I believe they were always unpluged. I did serch and couldn't find a slot for any. on the eithernet plug I have 2 lights a blinking yellow and a steady amber.

Edited by bigmel, 27 April 2010 - 07:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Did you install the NIC drivers? For that matter, did you reinstall all device drivers?

Check Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter).

Drivers have to be installed for the NIC to function properly and be recognized as a useable device.

Louis

#3 bigmel

bigmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

Well you are correct. I went to Dell but I am lost. Where do I start? They have 1000's of drivers. I tried a few but they didn't work. I have a dell demension 4700. XP once I type that in I get 7 pages of drivers. I stick to fixing cars!!!!

#4 bigmel

bigmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

Well guys I am talking toyou from the Dell PC you helped me repair. I found the right driver and BINGO I'm up & running! Do you think I should go back to Dell and download all the drivers for this Tag #.

Again, I can't thank you enough, How about a mailing Addy so I can send a little something$

I'm sure I'll be back.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:50 AM

I would download all drivers for that system and then burn them to CD.

It's been my experience that it helps to keep the drivers CD which normally accompanies a motherboard/system, especially in light of the fact that more websites are charging for driver downloads while main suppliers seem to be shortening the amount of time they maintain availability of such.

The thought of providing money is a good one, but the fact is...this isn't that type of website/forum :thumbsup:. Thanks is more than enough for most, if not all, of us:).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users