Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacked through TurboNote

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ldpeak

ldpeak

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

Can't believe after 10 yrs of doing a decent job of protecting my computer from all kinds of issues, resolving them by means of bleeping computer and a personal arsenal of anti-this and anti-that I GOT HACKED while I was online (dial-up). Needed a PW I couldn't remember so I pulled up TurboNote. Anybody else have this little Sticky Note-type app? It's been around forever. I've had it for years & years. Never realized it was web-enabled so I didn't uncheck that particular setting (words of wisdom to the stupid here, always check your settings on any app before you put it into use...) so I was a sitting duck for anybody who wanted my stuff.

I clicked on the app, pulled up the sticky note with ALL my logins, passwords, security questions, you name it-it was right there in that one sticky note named All my logins... *bang head here* :thumbsup: and *here* :flowers: and *here* :trumpet: As soon as I did that before I could highlight and copy the PW I needed I saw all the information on that sticky note disappear. And then another note of a totally different subject. And another. And another. All being sucked up like spaghetti and lost to me as if by means of invisible ink. Questions here: Has anyone else used this app or another one like it that had this thing happen to them?

After seeing about 5 notes disappear I quickly unplugged from my dial-up and realized I was holding my breath. Trying to stay ahead of the hacker (this particular incident I believe was the result of a difference of opinion on a matter of politics or religion, he is from another country and loves to debate while I don't) so I made a list of what I needed to do. Next day had changed my checking accounts. I also changed my logins, usernames, PWs and security questions, etc to all those websites at least 5 different times in less than 6 hours. I also downloaded LastPass, a password generater/keeper/auto-login program that I hope is gonna help resolve this issue.

I didn't go back online for anything except to update my virus definitions. I ran every check in the book and came up mostly clean BUT my gut tells me my HiJackThis log reveals otherwise. Please tell me what you'd like me to do or post and I'll roll up my sleeves... or just cut 'em off.

Thanks a bunch.

I'm easy to work with. :inlove: Just call me Lin.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 May 2010 - 09:39 PM.
Moved to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users