Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for Free AntiVirus \ Anti-Spyware

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BigKB3

BigKB3

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:52 PM

I am looking for a free Free AntiVirus \ Anti-Spyware. Any sugggestions?

Anyone have information about AVG Anti-Virus 9.0?

Or Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.507?

Edited by Budapest, 27 April 2010 - 05:56 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

I recommend Avast, as do many other trusted members of this forum. :thumbsup:

I don't recommend AVG, as I have seen many computer problems caused by it (it also has poor detection rates).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 BigKB3

BigKB3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

Thanks. After sending this, I researched AVG and I was not happy. I am going to use Avast. thanks.

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

For blocking spyware, you might want to try the free version of SpywareBlaster.

If any spyware somehow gets past the above program, you could then use the free versions of SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) and MalwareBytes Antimalware (MBAM) to scan for and remove them.

(Please note that you may have to run SAS in Windows SAFE mode to remove some of the more stubborn spyware.)

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,928 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:28 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and taking advantage of the Protection Module which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires reqistration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

See Bleeping Computer's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps and List of Virus & Malware Resources.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

Excellent advice as always, quietman7. :flowers:

Thanks. After sending this, I researched AVG and I was not happy. I am going to use Avast. thanks.

Cool! :thumbsup:

Like quietman7 said, try and see what works for you. If you like Avast (most people do), then keep using it. Or if you're not so keen on it, you can try something else. :trumpet:

#7 BigKB3

BigKB3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

Avast. And loving it . . .

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

Awesome. :flowers:

Yeah, Avast has the best user interface (in terms of clarity, organization, effectiveness, customizability, and more) I've seen in a long time in regards to any program, much less AV's. Not to mention the highly effective anti-virus engine/definitions. It's a win-win. :thumbsup:

#9 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:35 AM

Good advice from quietman7 there.

What do you guys think of Comodo AV then? I use this because it comes bundled with a firewall and also has a nice GUI etc.. Is it not considered on the same level as Avast? Because it's not in any of the lists that quietman7 posted although they haven't been updated in a while...

#10 glke

glke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:19 AM

I use AVG. I will try Malwarebytes

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

Using Malwarebytes' as your primary (real-time) protection requires purchasing the full version. From quietman7's OUTSTANDING (as always) advice:

I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and taking advantage of the Protection Module which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware....Enabling the Protection Module feature requires reqistration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

I use and recommend Avast 5 (free) for the reasons mentioned in keyboardNinja's excellent post, as well as it's powerful boot-scan which "ninja" did not mention. Alongside Avast! I use MBAM & SUPERAntiSpyware (both free) as secondary scanners and Spywareblaster, hpHosts, ATF cleaner and Firefox's add-ons Adblock Plus & NoScript and I'm good to go.

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

What do you guys think of Comodo AV then? I use this because it comes bundled with a firewall and also has a nice GUI etc.. Is it not considered on the same level as Avast? Because it's not in any of the lists that quietman7 posted although they haven't been updated in a while...

Comodo's AV was actually the subject of a recent discussion by the Malware team and various other staff members...the consensus was, more or less, Comodo AV sucks.

Using Malwarebytes' as your primary (real-time) protection requires purchasing the full version.

Note: The full version of Malwarebytes' is NOT to be used as a primary active protection. It is not the same as a regular anti-virus. It is a supplement, not a replacement. quietman7 can provide some more info about this....I can't seem to find that canned speech that explains it.

I use and recommend Avast 5 (free) for the reasons mentioned in keyboardNinja's excellent post, as well as it's powerful boot-scan which "ninja" did not mention. Alongside Avast! I use MBAM & SUPERAntiSpyware (both free) as secondary scanners and Spywareblaster, hpHosts, ATF cleaner and Firefox's add-ons Adblock Plus & NoScript and I'm good to go.

Ah, yes...forgot about the boot-scan. Thanks for bringing that up. :thumbsup:

Yes, MBAM and SUPER are excellent. I also use those Firefox addons, as well. It's amazing the garbage Javascript that runs on some webpages (third-party crap). :flowers: Consider adding the Cookie Button in the status bar (set Firefox to block cookies normally, and use the button from this addon to "white-list" specific websites with 2 clicks...keeps your cookie list much cleaner :trumpet: ).

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:57 AM

Yes, MBAM and SUPER are excellent. I also use those Firefox addons, as well. It's amazing the garbage Javascript that runs on some webpages (third-party crap). :flowers: Consider adding the Cookie Button in the status bar (set Firefox to block cookies normally, and use the button from this addon to "white-list" specific websites with 2 clicks...keeps your cookie list much cleaner :trumpet: ).

Thanks for the heads-up re: Cookie button, I will give it a try. :thumbsup: I'm using CCleaner to manage my cookies and also startups.

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, it's handy because I hate accepting cookies from every website I visit that isn't required to use cookies, then having to delete them later. I just prefer to "white-list" the websites I log into, and block all other cookies. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users